Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS BATTERY?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mutatedpanda, Aug 19, 2005.

1. I recently got a new bass (a Traben Kore), and I noticed on the back, there is a panel that can be taben off (next to the wiring panel) that has a battery in it (a 9 volt). After a while, it went dead, and the bass would not work well with my amp. I replaced the battery and everything was fine agian. Why does a bass need a battery?

2. well, basses that have 9v batteries usually have active electronics or a pre amp that boost the sound quality and capability of the pickups. The batteries act as the power supply for the circuitry to work. My Ibanez SR3000e also needs a 9v in order to operate because it has a 3band eq preamp. :bassist:

3. Hello there. Well... your bass has a battery powered internal preamp. This is a battery powered device inside many basses that does a number of things... it provides higher output, allows for longer cable runs without degrading the sound quality, and usually has active bass and treble controls so that you can adjust you bass tone without going back to your amp.

The battery is usually activated when you plug the cord into the bass... so always unplug your bass when you are finished playing.

Sometimes, an active circuit will have a 'passive over-ride' control (many times on a 'push/pull' knob... usually the volume control). This allows the bass to work if the battery goes dead... and also allows you to bypass the active circuitry and get back to the classic passive sound. Finally, some pickups (like EMG's) are actually active pickups and require the battery to be good (i.e., no bypass switch).

So, keep the bass unplugged when you are not playing, and change the battery every 6-12 months and you should be good to go :hyper:

PS Welcome to TB