Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Beating

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Yes, as long as I got another one.

56 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Yes, as long as I got the money that the bass is worth back in my pocket.

43 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Yes, I'd do it even if i didnt get another one or any money.

12 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. No, I dont see the point

343 vote(s)
    71.8%
  5. Other..Please Specify

24 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was watching the film clip for The Rock Show by Blink 182, and after watching Tom smash his guitar up at the end, it got me thinking.

Say you were sponsored by Warwick, Ibanez, Fender, or whatever tickles your fancy, could you smash your bass up for your bands film clip?

Personally I couldnt. Even if I was sponsored, I reckon that could auction it off or something and, even if the band had alot of money, give the money made away to charity or something. I mean there isnt much point to beating it up is it?

What do you all think?

2. couldn't do it at all - even if i had not yet developed an attachment for an instrument. just don't see the point. I cringe whenever I recall seeing a live concert clip of Prince (or the artist FKA..whatever) where he takes a tasty bass solo on a beaut Warwick - he's backed up by no less than Larry Graham - and at the end of it all gets rid of the warwick by flinging it across the stage floor to his guitar tech. what a waste of a good instrument!

i think - give it to someone who can use it before you even think of trashing something, be it a warwick or a rogue. my 2c.

Pat

3. i agree...unless i was in a tremendously humongous fit of rage, i couldn't.

4. there no point even if i was rich (which im not) i wouldn't want to because i know how hard it is to earn enough money just to buy one

5. I voted other. I wouldn't do that to any of my current basses, but have thought if I ever planned on smashing up a bass, it would be at a planned show, and would buy a Rogue, or other really cheap bass to smash around.

I have too much invested in my basses to smash them up. My Squier P bass has gotten it's fair share of bumps. It has been tossed accross a room, dropped on the wooden arm of a futon, banged against walls, and who knows what else. I don't think that bass will ever die. Even after all the abuse it's received, it has suffered only one deep finish flaw, and minor scratches. Ever since then, I have babied it.

I would really have to hate a bass to completely destroy it.

6. I would never ever smash up a bass, I like bass too much to do such a thing, IMO any bass should be treated with respect ;)

7. I don't think I could. I think I get too attached to my bass to ever be able to smash it up, even if it was a free bass I don't think I could.

I mean, I was watching Springsteen's Live in N.Y. DVD the other day, and in the end of one song he takes off his guitar and flings it into the air and the soundguy catches it and takes it off stage. But I tell ya, while that guitar was in the air I was going "Catchitcatchitcatchitcatchit!" :D :rolleyes:

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well..I don´t see the point, and, I couldn´t do it anyway! I´ve dropped my Yamaha few times and I actually hit myself because I was kinda mad at myself.

9. Deep, deep, long-term hatred is what I feel for my old Peavey Fury PIECE OF S**T!!!

A couple of friends and I have been engraving profanities and dirty pictures in its finish, I drilled out the dot markers (plastic, no less), we drew new various lewd markings on the fingerboard... I drilled a few holes through the body...

We've had a couple of cool ideas for its demise. Whatever we do, we will capture it on video and post an MPEG... (I have access to some Sony DV cameras through my film/tv production class, we could even do multi-angle stuff... yeah i'm a geek...)

1: I already killed the pickups, but I could put the old pickups from my guitarist's Squier strat in it (lol...), play it for one show, do a Jimi Hendrix and set the bugger on fire, then smash it to put it out. (I'm 18, I'm immortal, fire can't hurt me!)

2: We load it into a car, drive into the mall parking lot on a busy day, and smash it on the pavement. We'd try to get a few people's reactions on the video... could be pretty funny

3: Drive along the highway and toss it off a bridge from a moving car.

4: Tie it to the back of my mom's Jeep and go off-roading, my friend will follow in his dad's Tahoe, and someone will videotape it from the Tahoe.

5: Tie it to the back of any car, drive around in public, i.e. parking lot or something, then back over it a few times. I figure a cool shot would be a nice wide, low angle of it sitting on the ground, and have 5 or so of us drive over it in quick succession.

6: Tie it to the back of my friend's Volvo 860, follow in my other friend's dad's turbo Passat, and go silly-fast on the highway with it trailing behind the car.

7: Make a boat out of it and send it off into the Pacific.

8. Drill a crapload of holes in it, stuff it full of firecrakcers...

Any other creative ideas are more than welcome, I'm open to suggestions, no matter how wild...

All that said, I'd never consider smashing a bass I even remotely liked. If someone said they'd give me a Wal, an SR5, and a Rick 4080 doubleneck, I'd consider smashing my BEEEAUTIFUL 4003 JetGlo... maybe...

I could smash gu**ar's all day though!

--jeff

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sure have a thing with cars and using them to demolish an instrument...

i think the only one that doesn't directly endanger any lives is the "smash it in a mall parking lot" one.

don't hurt yourself.

11. I can't see how sending it off into the ocean would directly endanger anybody's life, unless one of us manages to drown in the shallow water near the beach...

Thanks for the concern though - we usually don't act like complete idiots, so it should be fun to do something really stupid for once!

--jeff

12. When I put a slight scuff on the end of the headstock of my Rick a week after getting it, I got so depressed I went to sleep for 20 hours...

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Line of Duty only. As in, if in the process of doing something like being in the pit, crowd surfing and generally thrashing about and it got thourghly mangled so be it. But I'd never go "and now, to kick the thing to peices." That would just make me cry.

Unless of course, it was a Rogue.

14. jeff - you've probably decided to "whack" the old peavey already but in case its still alive and playable - at least think about giving it to some kid who's interested in bass playing.

at the very least - it'll be good karma for you and an addition to our ranks.

back to our regular scheduled programming, folks.

Pat

15. Pat, I considered this as well. The neck is twisted and backbowed, the pickups have very little output at all, the tuning keys rattle. My local bass emporium said I'd have to pay them to take it. It truely is a useless piece of junk.

--jeff

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    don't give me that "Rogues are basses too" tripe!

:D

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sigh...how many Times I gotta tell you people: Rogue basses, AREN'T.

:D

18. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Hell yeah I could!!!!!! It wouldn't be a good bass....but yes, especially if I was sponsored I would and could smash the f--er! :D
    My friend, a fellow bass-player at every show smashes the same 2 Rogues he bought 3 years ago for like 70$ each - after the show he just glues/tapes them back together. needless to say, its funny
    smashing stuff is cool :)

19. A) You could cast it to the ravens..

B) Stuff the pickup holes full of pork, throw it in a pig pen and watch the piggies become cannibals.

c) Paint it pink

D) Saw it into little bits and flush it.

:)

20. I like option B, it would be kind of like in Hannibal... unfortunately any pig pen would be quite a ways from here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.