Bass Beating

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Yes, as long as I got another one.

56 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Yes, as long as I got the money that the bass is worth back in my pocket.

43 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Yes, I'd do it even if i didnt get another one or any money.

12 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. No, I dont see the point

343 vote(s)
    71.8%
  5. Other..Please Specify

24 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    i dont think i would just do it..to one of my own basses anyway....i think i would have to get them to give me one of the ones that are defective or have some kind of flaw that couldnt be repaired so it wouldnt go to waste and look cool in the first place

2. I voted other, and here is why:

I've been playing(learning) for about 8 months now. I went out and bought a Silvertone packagefor 200$, some Hal Leonard books, and a book of Tabs. I progressed, with the intention of getting a new(real) bass at the first opportunity.
    I found a sweet deal on an Aria Pro II, and was posed with the question " What do I do with the Silvertone?" It was badly warped, the action was horrible, the pickups sucked, and the strings were like leaf springs on a truck. I thought it would be cool to take a pic of my buddy(who looks alot like Dimebag) parking his 44 x 19.5 x 15 tsl swamper bogger shod Chevy on top of this piece of junk that I so thoroughly despised. Then the dealer offered my $80 for it, and a padded bag, on top of cutting the price of the Aria in half.
    Even junk basses are worth something. Don't wreck them.

3. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    Hell yeah i could smash up a bass!

It'd have to be a spur of the moment thing though, i tend to really get worked up when i 'm playing and get into the music, so if i just got too carried away and smashed it yeah fine,

I couldn't do it premediately though, if i decided before hand "Yeah i'll smash this bad!" then i'll be thinking about it and the consequences and i wouldn't end up doing.

Plus i'd be playing with a friend's ergodyne...and i can't imagine he'd be very pleased with me. I've got an Affinity P-bass that i'd happily trash.

We destroyed a guitar once, set it on fire, created a little crime scene and took photos...yes i do have a problem. :D

4. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I think smashing your gear is now a tired, stupid cliche.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    one time when i was a teenager, my band's guitarist got pissed off at his head for shorting out, and he smashed it in with his beautiful, 3 mo. old jackson randy rhoads, neck thru and schweet. then he cried. it was a really sad day at practice.

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    you're right, the emotion has been played out and the reaction by everyone around you is....blah.

but, let's try something new....let's smash up our guitarists instruments instead :) either that, or bring fruit and a big mallet.

7. i think i could smash a bass but id do it like kurt cobain and just break the neck and use old cheap stuff from a pawn shop

8. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    And what I mean is, every night on the Pop Disaster Tour, Hoppus smashes his bass, on cue. Then he walks off the stage and hops onto a golf cart that couriers him across the parking lot into his air conditioned tour bus, where he eats really healthy food and talks to his stock broker.

The only times I think that were cool were when Hendrix poured lighter fluid on his strat and on the cover of the Clash's London Calling.

9. What was going through you're mind when you decided to start breaking stuff?

I always end gigs on my Univox 'cause we put the harder stuff at the end of the set and I don't want to jump into the crowd and flop around on stage with my Ric. Once in a while at the end of the set I just throw the bass down and either walk off or collapse right there on stage because I am completely spent both emotionally and physically. Interestingly enough crowd response has nothing to do with this situation, I've felt like this at gigs with huge hyper crowds and gigs with 5 old drunks at the bar. Its something that is completely inside me.

Anyway, sometimes I just drop the bass, sometimes, I throw it into the drums, I've thrown it at the guitar player.

I think it is just an issue of finality. I'm dead and just want everything to go boom and be over with.

At our last show even the guitar player experienced this feeling, he tossed his $1000 strat at me, the one that he NEVER allows anything to happen to, the one he is almost as careful with as I am with my Ric.

Anyway....

10. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    When I was younger and wanted to start playing bass, but couldn't afford it and my parents wouldn't buy me one, I occasionally saw guys slam their bass and whatnot. It always made me think, "Hey, I could have used that!" No matter the cost or quality of the bass, there are some who do not have the same opportunity of acquiring an instrument. I would rather give it to some one in the crowd, or find someone who would play it.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    and dont forget Pete Townsend, he had *Style* in smashing guitars...

12. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    when i get a new bass soon i will most likely give the squier a few good stompings but nuthing too major. I want to to keep it because its been my first bass(for like two years:rolleyes: ) and i guess it has some sentimental value, but i do have a rather big hatred for the bass for the endless buzzing noise it makes and the awful awful tone.

13. :D Yea, that's the ticket. I suggest pumpkins....damn, someone's done that already too.....

14. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    To me a bass is more than wood and hardware, more than an inanimate object. I would never smash one.

15. navEtheChimp

navEtheChimp

Jan 28, 2002
    i would never smash a bass. it makes no sense. guitar on the other hand... i cant even play those things with out wanting to smash it into the drum set and roll around with the drums.

but when i play my bass i actually put pride into what im playing. and i usually dont go crazy.

16. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Belgium
    if i'm terribly angry I probably use my bass to kick someone with....

Don't mess with me !
    :D

17. I think it's pointless even if it's one you don't like or use. It still can serve a purpose such as if you know someone who's just starting and may not have the $$ to spend at the time and, wants to start playing.

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I generally don't like it. I remember when I was just starting out playing bass and had no money. I remember thinking that I would gladly take even the junky instruments that people were smashing on stage. Furthermore, too many bands do it these days. I watch a band smash their gear and I think, "Oooh you're rebels, you're counter-culture, no one's thought to do that. Look at all your inarticulate rage, I'm in awe.":rolleyes: Occasionally instruments get trashed out of genuine frustration. I can understand that, at the most frustrating gig I've done (stuff randomly not working, annoying sound guy, no rehearsal time, ridiculous light show) I was ready to trash everything. I managed to restrain myself though and just whipped a malfunctioning patch cord at the wall. More often then not though, gear-trashing is a packaged part of the show.

19. The guitarist from a band im in has had his fender start for six years or something, and we had a really important gig a few weeks back. he knew that the start would not be up for it but it was ok because there was a brand new custom shop beast in the post that was due to arrive a few days before the gig. Only it didnt so when the electrics went out mid-gig he struggled to the end of the song before throwing it to the floor and stamping on it with two feet a few times, he then threw it off the stage and went to get the spare. Afterwards he wasnt that bothered, but he said it was worth it just to see the sound technicians face!

I could never do that myself tho...
    not after all the work I put into saving up for a bass, even if I got sponsored i still think that as long as a bass is playable (ie it works) its worth alot more than just money.

20. They only way i would beat my bass is if it was giving me major problems or it was so broken down that it wasn't worth keeping or selling.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.