Bass below 800$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BLonge, Feb 25, 2005.

1. BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    im sure youre sick of these kinds of questions but im really really stuck. im looking to spend anything less than $800 on a bass. ive been looking into the spector rebop-5. how are those? anyone had experience with them? also ive been looking at schecter. how are schecter basses? theres really no place i can test these guitars out around here without traveling an hour or more away so any advice you guys can give would be awesome.
  2. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    One thing is for certain, you have any number of fantastic basses to go for with $800.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Personally, if I had to start from scratch and buy a NEW bass... it'd be a Lakland Skyline 44-01. They're incredibly high quality instruments for the price tag, and that tag is well below $800. If you're looking for a used instrument, you're possibilities are nearly limitless.
  4. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Are you looking at 4 or 5 string basses
  5. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Used Rickenbacker

Fender J or P American: used or a new one that has been hanging for a while at a GC type store: deals are to be found: Often a new one can be had on closeout for $700 or so at GC. Used in many music stores for $550-$750, at the high end.

Music Man Sterling or Stingray, used

Music Man SUB, new
  6. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    First of all, what genre of music do you typically play? What kind of sound are you after. What bassists' tone do you like? Are you after a more vintage or more modern vibe? Give us some details and we can help you sort through your options.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Spector! Seriously, versatile, great playing instruments. Some complain the neck is chunky (it is when compared to some basses), but it fits my hand like a nice glove. I'd say give 'em a try. Hell, give everything a try, find somethin' ya want :p

8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Carvin is having a huge sale on options, so you could get a custom B4 or B5 built for well under $800.
  9. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    One more for Carvin.

Made in America is a good thing IMO. Plus they're good basses. I have a bolt fretless. Lightweight alder. Sings the mwah song very nicely. Passive. A very good deal.
  10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Go with a Spector. You can get a used Euro for 800 if you look. Even the Legend series is really nice, you could get a legend 5 and a case and lunch/dinner for 800. :smug:
  11. you can get used single pickup pedulla raptures for $800
  12. I think Conklin's Groove Tools line are also excellent basses for the $$$. They have slightly narrower necks/string spacing. Some see this as a +, others a -.

I'd certainly check out everything you could get your hands on though. :hyper:

If I could paraphrase something I read in someone's signature once: One man's Wish is another man's Alembic.... Or sumthin like that!!!
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used Sterling or Stingray.
  14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have both a Carvin LB75 and a Spector NS2, both bought used. This might be sacrilige here, but in terms of overall value, the Carvin wins hands down. The Spector is great for certain types of music - I was in a metal thing in the early nineties, and the Spector killed in that setting. In terms of classic rock, soul, R&B, and eveything else I do, I have found the Carvin to be more versatile, and it cost a quarter of what I paid for the Spector.
  15. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i got a brand new spector rebop 5 for sale for im if you are interested.