Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass between ranges of 500-1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaNaDaRoCkSoY, May 13, 2005.

1. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I'm looking for a nice 4 or 5 string bass. With my new work bonus I have finally saved about $1250. I'm looking for a new 4 to 5 string bass guitar for under $1000 because I want a save a good wad of cash to buy accesories like strings, stand, case, and possibly new electronics if needed. I have been playing about three years now, I play a lot of prog/ska/rock/punk/blues/jazz, almost anything with a cool hard bass sound. I presently have a Fender Special Edition P bass with a split one coil pick up. I have a Me-50B BOSS bass pedal and two Rumble bass amps, a 60 Watt and a 100 Watt. I have been to several guitar centers and tried a couple fenders and such although I have no true Idea of what to look for. I would prefer to upgrade to active pickups, and either a more vintage or modern looking bass although as I said earlier, no idea what I should really be looking at. So I am open to any suggestions and when I say suggestions I also want to know of any of your haggling techniques and if their would be anything that I should add on to make my new bass a really kickarse.

Danke.

2. The Geddy Lee Jazz

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Carvin B4.

4. Get a used Fender Roscoe Beck 5 String Bass - it's arguably the best Fender 5 string. It's passive (which I prefer for this particular bass), but has pretty decent output and is VERY versatile. For an active sound, you can run it through an active outboard preamp like a Sadowsky or U-Retro.

5. American Deluxe Fender J

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Lakland Skyline 44-01 or 55-01.

Different strokes for different folks, as you can see..... ;)

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you have about $1000 to work with, I'd take a look at the Carvin LB70. They have a wide variety of options that you can go with for woods, pickups, finishes, hardware etc.

They look, feel, play and sound great (IMO).

8. I knew you were going to say that :D
    How's the carvin holdin up Smarf?

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I would take the extra money that you say you may throw into pickup upgrades and just put it right into the bass. For just over the $1000 mark you can really get a whole new breed of instruments.

Anyone who knows me, knows what I'm gonna say say next. I really believe that MM Bongos are about to take over the bass world. Aside from some people not being crazy about the looks, I've never heard anyone say a bad word about them. I'll go further than that and say I've never heard anyone who's actually bought one not RAVE about them, and not put all the rest of their basses in their closet. Do a search on Bongo and you can see for yourself, or go to www.ernieball.com/forums , Although they will of course be a little one sided there. Certain Guitar Centers have been having blowout sales on them and I believe you may be able to pick one up right around or possibly even less than the $1000 mark. I'm hearing rumors of people finding new 4 string bongos for a little over $800. You can definitley haggle a 4 out of any store for $1000.

Also - if you check one out in a guitar center and it feels like crap, have the sales person set it up. I've seen Basses in there that needed a setup horribly, I'm not quite sure why they don't take care of that in those places. It can make the nicest bass in the world feel like it ain't worth a dime. If ya want to know a little more bout why people love these things so much, read what Bovinehost had to say here http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/98/sort/7/cat/13/page/1 I'd say he pretty much nailed it.

10. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Check out the thread that bassmaster5632 put up on the same forum.

11. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I have seen pictures and have read many reviews for the Bongo HH, it seems to be a great bass and it seems to be the one I am most interested in. I haven't been to guitar center yet to check into it becuase I want to have all my research done on what might be the best bass for me. The only concern I have is that it doesn't have a case. Which isn't a big problem although I hate having an instrument in a gig bag.

Also I need someones help, before I bother driving two and a half hours to the guitar center I want to see if I have gotten this right. At the guitar centers website and on the buyers guide page 18 I can't be certain although it looks like a 5 string bongo HH for $699.99.

http://guitarcenter.com/buyersguide/page18.cfm If that is the case, I would certainly buy this bass hands down. But then again like the Sub against the stingray its hard to tell the diverence in the actual bass on the ad due to the bluring of the neck. The thrid bass from the right, or the bass right after the Axis and Signiture model ErnieBall guitar it looks like thier is a bongo bass, and with 5 tuning keys. Can anyone confirm this to me? Or is it one of their grabing techniques buy only having the SUB bass to the right for the cheap deal.

12. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    It says that you can get a Musicman active for $699, that's for the SUB...not the Bongo in the background...underneath the price in small print, you can see the model #, which starts with X02, which is the designation for the SUB model....sorry.

13. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    Not a problem, I still have enough to buy a bongo, its just that I will have to do more research on my other possible options before jumping to the hasty decision of making the leap for a bongo. Just glad I had that down so I know what the heck I'm talking about at the guitar center.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's been over a month, and it's still as wonderful as the first day I had it.

15. musicman sub maybe??? (prepares for lynching) :ninja: