Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass bib

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Leco reis, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    Looking for a bib .
    whats a good one?

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Why not try an old kitchen apron? That's what I and many others have used, and it's cheap. That would be my recommendation, I haven't tried the ones you get from Lemur or Hammond-Ashley

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Hate to ressurect dead threads, but I'm looking for a bib too. Anyone have any other advice other than making one? The way that I sit means the back right shoulder of the bass is constantly touching just below my ribs, and is gets pretty damp after a long practice session :crying:This can't be good for the bass. I also don't want something that puts a big strap around the front bass, like the one i saw at the gage website , which might be great, but doesn't look so hot.

So i need something absorbent and washable. Which sounds like a line from a hippy tampon commercial.

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I've decided to make one myself. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I had bought one that hangs over the upper bout shoulder with pockets (lemur ????). It attaches via velcro. Like Paul W, My hand keeps grabbing the velcro when I go to thumb position.

I much prefer using the old-school method, an actual kitchen apron. I Have a brown one, and it works great!. You can purchase a white apron and get dyes to get it to match your bass. It's also much cheaper this way. This apron also absorbs my sweat well, cause I sweat a lot when I play.

6. I have one made by Strada, which I got from Hammond Ashley some years ago. It's the three panel style, with a pocket on the back. Works great, looks nice, and the pocket is super handy. I always have a pencil and a tuning fork in there.

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Apparently (all hail) Bob Gollihur has these...

[​IMG]

But they're not shown on his site yet.

Looks good, I'm interested and trying to find out more details...Bob?

Attached Files:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why do you need a bass bib? Is your bass a sloppy eater?

9. Actually I have been guilty of eating and playing, but not often. I like a bib because it protects my bass from belt buckles, it gives me a pocket to keep a pencil and tuning fork handy, and it gives me something to wipe my hands on other than nice clean tux pants. I always get sweaty hands and rosin all over the place on stage...

10. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    The bib was finished last night, and works really well.

I wanted a bib that would absorb sweat to prevent it from getting through to the bass. I also wanted the bib not to be too big (as invisable as possible from the front),and I didn't want it to leave any fibres of material on the bass. I also wanted a pocket for pencils.

I decided to use 3 layers of material. Velvet for the side that I'd be in contact with (comfort and no fibres), and satin for the side in contact with the bass. I decided to put an extra layer of shower curtain material (not the plastic kind, but the polyester? kind that's breathable) in the middle, to further help to prevent sweat coming through.

I bought the satin and velvet material for about €6.I first cut and old shower curtain to the shape that I thought was best, but putting a big patch on the bass and drawing with a pencil!. I then cut the velvet and satin to match. My girlfriend did the sewing (thank god), and I think you'd have to know what you were doing to get it to look this good.

It works really well, and I like the fact that it covers as little as the bass as possible. The pocket in the back is made of satin and was just made of the left-over material. The straps are made from the velvet material. (It's actualy some kind velvet-cotton-elastic mix thats about 5 times cheaper than velvet). The elasticity is great for the straps.

All in all it turned out much better than I expected. More pics follow.

2nd pic is of the materials used (its a close up of the pocket)

Attached Files:

11. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Given that bibs which do the same job are on sale for over €100, Im really pleased with this.... 2nd pic here shows how little it covers the side of the bass. And it does slip off backwards (towards me). I also like the way to don't have to stick the pencil into anything, I can just drop it in and there's no chance of it falling out either..

Attached Files:

12. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    a front and back view...the shape looks weird when its not on the bass :)

Attached Files:

13. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC

We have them on the site now, under "accessories." Hope this helps (without being too commercial). They're under 30 bucks.

14. Bob - The photo airbass posted is a Kolstein. Are you selling them?