1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass bible vs. bass guitar for dummies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by vctrl, Mar 4, 2008.

1. vctrl

vctrl

Dec 16, 2007
    Hey all,

I'm a relative "noob" at bass, and am looking for some books to help me along.

I've read rave reviews of both the Bass Bible (Paul Westwood) and Bass guitar for dummies. However I'm looking for an opinion for those of you that have owned both books. Are they similar? Do you find one better than the other (depth of topics covered, easy to read, layout/organization, etc...)?

Thanks a lot! :)

2. I've never heard of the Bass Bible, but Bass Guitar for Dummies is a good book. I'd recommend that along with the Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition by Ed Friedland.

I say the more books you get the better since they all will have different examples for you to play.

3. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Any book is good as long as you actually learn practice and play the examples in the book. one exercise can be revisited over and over for years.

4. But get a teacher. Go to several before you make a decision.

Also, you don't have to go once a week. Twice a month is just fine. It will save you money, and you can get more done in two weeks before your next lesson.

I have been playing bass almost twenty years... I still take lessons.

5. Caimanson

Caimanson

Dec 2, 2007
    I once saw the bass bible, it looked more like an encyclopedia of bass styles, gave me the impression of being like a reference rather than a method, not the sort of thing for a total begginer. Paul Westwood is a really nice guy though:cool:

Depends what you're looking for.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I own the Bass Bible but not For Dummies.

I like the bass bible as a broad styles guide for bass guitar. It contains a very good introduction to baselines from various genres (rock, r&b , jazz etc) and cultures (american, latin, african ect)
    Westwood also spends some time on specific bassist (Jamerson, Rainey, Bootsy etc) and their styles and contributions.

The usefulness of the material is hit or miss, but if you need a goods style guide, the bass bible is good. I'd reccomend it to someone in the intermediate -advanced beginner stages of learning.

7. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    skip the Bass Bible. start here...

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-nbsp-for.../lm/R361X21IZQG2ES/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1