bass "bible"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve-gan, Jan 4, 2003.

1. steve-gan

Aug 6, 2002
    i'm new to the world of the bass. i love it. while i do understand that music is subjective to one's personal preferences (bands,the sounds we want, etc.,) my question is on the physical aspects of the bass itself. can anyone recommend a book, a bible if you will, that specializes in proper setup, how to restring properly, the differences in active and passive pick-ups, etc,. please don't misunderstand me, i have no illusions of being an instant master tech. a little information is dangerous, but learning what makes basses "tick" as well as care of my new fender is important to me. thanks for your time---steve p.s. Dirk for president(oy-oy what a headache!)
  2. there's a setup forum there..

WAITAMINUTE! heehehe

I am nto sure if there is just one "bible" when it comes to such a topic. Often many people will suggest different books, all equally as good.

3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I agree with Merl.

TB is the largest data bass for everything that pertains to bass in the world.

Not only can almost any question be answered from the archived material, several different views of the subjective info is there.

TB is made up of pro players, luthiers, electronic engineers, technicians in most any field that you can imagine including instrument repair.

There are also players at every level of development from beginner to retired.

There are seasoned experts here that freely share thier knowledge with anyone with a love for the bass.

It don't get any better than right here. :)
  4. Do a quick seach on "setup" and you'll get all the info you need on how to adjust your bass, ect.

You'll also probably run across several links that have good info, I would post some, but all my links went bye bye after my comp crashed. :(
  5. As mentioned in my first post about there being many resources (books) on the subject, i feel safe to say that Talkbass is a culmination of all of those. Many of the people who suggest buying a particular type of book A) have it and B) give advise based on what they've learnt.

Use TB to its fullest. And If you are still unclear.. you'll get that human touch by asking as many questions as you like.

6. These guys have pretty much said it all very well. I can only add that a single book with just a single view on every possible subject concerning the physiology of the Bass would be as thick as the phone book. And that's just one opinion! Pretty good bathroom reading though :eek:

As you learn more, you'll start filtering all of this information and begin to form a philosophy of your own concerning the care and feeding of our best friends here.

BTW - you'd be very well served to look to the guys that posted above for reliable information and pretty clear thinking.
  7. I see your New Years Resolution of being nice is working Hammy. ;)