Bass bibs

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Alain Martin, May 12, 2019.

1. Alain Martin

Alain Martin

Oct 21, 2018
    Hi everyone!

Can anyone please explain me for I have yet failed to understand what are bass bibs really for. Is it not to damage the wood on your bass with your belt buckle? Is it to spare your shirt from the rubbing on your belt buckle in case you wear your shirt outside your pants? Is it to prevent your bass from sliding against your clothes in order to better stabilizing your bass? Though imagine it can also be used to protect your bass from floor damage when you put it down I think the answer is most likely to be the first one. Yet I’m leaving it to you all the bass bib users and experts.

Thank you very much

Cheers

Alain

2. I’m no expert, but my nice newer bass wears a bib to protect the upper bout where it contacts my body.

Emoody likes this.
  3. I think the main reason is protecting the wood from scratches from the belt buckle.
    It depends a bit on construction if additional aspects are covered.
    Material also varies (textile, leather).

I made my one myself when I was a student and the lower part grabs around the bout corner and is strapped over top and back to hold it in place in the lower part too.
    The upper part is often strapped around the neck heel, but I thought that it might disturb me and strapped that part also trough the bout on top and back together with the lower straps (they meet at the bout). But this is my construction and I have never seen any other bib constructed that way. It is also a bit fiddly to mount, so I only take it off when the bass goes to the luthier.

If you use the bass as a percussive instrument too, the bib changes the sound when knocking on the rib. Can be good or bad, depending on what you want to get.

Max George likes this.
  4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I don't know either. The pockets come in handy though.
    Rosin, rag, mute, pencil, condom...

5. why do you carry the singer's stuff?

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Singers can be unreliable.

GlenParks, Max George and The Biz like this.
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Gold Supporting Member

Esp. during Beethoven's Erotic Symphony #3.

robobass likes this.
  8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Besides. Isn't it the bass player's responsibility to always have a mute on hand? Even when the gig didn't call for it?

The Biz likes this.
  9. I haven't played a gig that didn't call for a mute in years:

10. Richtofen

Richtofen

Jul 28, 2017
    Tennessee
    I personally find them to be only used during symphony rehearsals and removed on performance day. I guess during regular jazz gigs they're fine but I don't think they are a very significant benefit.

11. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    How many singers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Singers don't screw in lightbulbs - they screw in the back of vans

12. Alternate punch line:

Only one - and the rest of the world to revolve around them! :)

Mark Gollihur likes this.