Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass bibs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dhadleyray, Jan 9, 2005.

1. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Does anyone know what kind of bass bib Ron Carter has on his bass? I've seen others, but they look like blankets... To large for my taste. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. :p

The ones on Bob Gollihur's site aren't what I had in mind. They fit in the "too big" category.

2. I know of a bassIST or 2 who could use a bib, to say nothing of guitarists. Sorry, couldn't stop myself. Seriously, are these for protecting the bass's finish, or more for protecting a nice suit? My doghouse is so hammered it could actually damage one's duds.

3. Mainly the bass.....You're looking for a custom bib.....draw a pattern then take it to your old lady or your seamstess.

4. I used a bass bib on my instrument back around 1965-1975 when I was playing at the old Kansas City Playboy Club. While the bib did a good job of protecting the finish, it apparently gave the wrong impression to some people. I had people come up to me many years later asking if this was the same bass that had a big hole hidden by a velvet skirt when I was at the Playboy Club. It's funny what conclusions people make when they see something a little different. :)

5. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Guys... I'm a little stunned?! Ron actually replied to my question and confirmed it was a custom job. A "piece of fabric and elastic..."

I didn't expect a "direct" reply! I'm really impressed he took the time to answer. :cool:

7. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Well to tell you the truth.., I think I am! Didn't bass player do an article on a "Paul Warburton" in the October 96 edition? I have the article in hand.. It was so inspiring, I kept that magazine! I have thrown out all but 3 of them. I find the quality of the magazine dropping as of late. :D

8. :oops:

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I knew it was you ;) It was a good article! Very matter of fact.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Did they use the pic of Paul sticking his tongue out?

11. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    indeed, PW gets easily caught up in goofy situations...

12. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    They used a pretty good photo of Paul sittin and playin. :cool: He looked like he meant business! ;) It gave an overall bio, I think it was well written. Very respectful stuff bro! No tongues anywhere :hyper:

13. Where'd you get that Kitty Margolis stuff Oli? That was up at the Telluride Jazz Festival. Funny, you just mentioned working with Kitty the other day Marcus.
    That Bass Player Magazine feature was good. It was written by another good bass player friend Erik Turkman. I'd post it, but my late wife had it all matted and framed and I don't want to mess with it.
    dhadleyray, (what's your real name man?) thanks for bringing that article up. Can you post it for us?
    Oops, sorry off topic. We were talking about bass bibs.
    My favorite bass bib of all time was one that I saw on the cover of an old Blue Note record (probably a Horace or Art Blakey side) that Doug Watkins had on his bass. His old lady musta been a pro seamstress! Talk about CUSTOM.
    I gave up on them....I was always getting my left hand caught up in the part that goes around the neck.
    Similar to what Bob B. said of what people thought of his bib, I went to hear The Oscar Peterson Trio once and the guy sitting next to me said to his friend about Ray Browns bib: " Lookit that bass...it's SO old the guy had to TIE it together."

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    From her site where there's a gallery of candid snapshots

15. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I sent you a message Paul. I tried to compress the article, but it didn't work... The talkbass moniker is dhadleyray, but "David" is easier to remember :) Ohh, by the way... I read your reply "after" I'd gotten Ron Carter's. I've only started playing DB seriously again over the last 6 months. So, I most certainly have nothing but, respect for your opinion. :p and those of the other guys. I wish I hadn't stopped playing it, but I couldn't afford to own one. I really admire cats that play DB. I really wanted to be a part of that heritage so I've jumped in again. The forum has been very helpful. I've got the bib question sorted! :p

16. Hang in David....the DB is waiting for you.
    Be patient, well you know the drill. You don't need a lecture from some old dude......keep checking out the NewbieLinks and the Archives.

17. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Well Paul, I'm glad there are some "old dudes" around. From what I'm seeing lately, The "lower frequency veterans" don't mind passing on the knowledge. Alot of the cats I see in London are kinda suspicious and afraid you'll take their work. There's not that much around and if you've got a good gig you protect it like an animal trying to survive. That's human nature I guess..

Thanks for the encouragement! I decided to jump in, sink or swim. I did a short movie soundtrack with DB, sax, and drums. I'm glad my intonation withstood scrutiny. :hyper: I guess they wanted a Sonny Rollins kinda vibe. I've been working on tunes and technique with a teacher, Standards, etc. I do wish I could continue my piano lessons as well, but there's not enough time in the day.

By the way...You should have the article now.

18. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    So do the rest of us get to see this article too? Hmmmm? :)

19. I just had my puter reformatted, so I have to re-learn how to send attatchments to TB.
    Unless David wants to take a shot at it, or somebody else who has the article, i'll have to wait until I get my chops down on XP.

20. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm working on it... I'll do my best :help: