1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Big Muff, Aguilar TLC (compressor), and wah...what order?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JoshXR, Aug 2, 2012.

1. JoshXR

JoshXR

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    Hey Talkbass,

I recently purchased an Aguilar TLC and am loving it! great sound, really evens out the string volume on the bass while still keeping dynamics.

I use a Bass Big Muff for my overdrive sounds due to the option to "blend" your normal bass sound and fuzz at the same time. I was also plan on purchasing a wah of some sorts soon here...

So I was you, what order would you recommend I put my pedals in? Do I want it to go Compressor/Overdrive/Wah, or Overdrive/Compressor/Wah?

The wah isn't a huge issue at the moment (as it doesn't exit in my set up yet :bag: ) but I am curious as to the overdrive and compressor order.

Thanks and cheers!
    -Josh

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I'd maybe put the compressor after the fuzz but really using both simultaneously is pretty redundant as the fuzz will compress your signal quite a bit. Really only you can decide what you like best, I think.

3. That's what I'd do. But, I'd try the different combinations to see what sounds best to you.

4. JoshXR

JoshXR

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    I tried Overdrive/Compressor last night at practice

The Bass Big Muff has a bit of a volume boost when you kick on the blend mode, so the compressor tamed down that volume boost a bit.

Bedroom jamming is fun and gets an idea, but nothing is truly known until you try it out wiht the band! :)

5. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Fuzz->Wah->Comp->Overdrive

If you using the Muff at a high gain setting as a fuzz I would put first. If your using the Muff at low gain as a overdrive than I would put it last.

I'm a fan of using compressor into overdrive for a heavly compressed overdriven hard rock sound.