1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Big Muff Pi with Active EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ThreeFingers, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Hey guys,
    I just recently purchased a BBM and have been having problems with my Vintage Modified Jaguar Special. The onboard "bass boost" switch sounds awesome when the pedal is off, but as soon as I kick in the pedal it completely flattens out the low end like it is too much for the pedal to handle (even with the bass boost knob at about 30%). So I am finding myself having to crank the knob all the way down and hit the pedal during solos and other muff worthy sections, which becomes somewhat difficult with both hands in full swing. Has anyone else had this problem with active eq on their bass? Or have any suggestions as a workaround (other than purchasing a new bass, which I am seriously considering)?
    Thanks!

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you have a passive bass? What is your onboard pre set at? Have you tried rolling to a different pup or have you just noticed it with the bass boosted and your reg setting on where your pups are sending signals? Have you thought about swapping out the onboard pre for a different one maybe? Do you have any pedals you're using that have EQ capabilities?

3. The Jaguar is my only bass worth playing at the moment so sadly no. Actually it hadn't occured to me to check each pup separately, I'll try experimenting with with different settings on the volume knobs. The bbm and a tuning pedal are all the pedals I use currently so that route is out. Currently I'm just leaving the muff on and just cranking the volume up on the pups when I need the boost.

4. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

May 12, 2013
    I have a Pre in my j-bass and i noticed that if i boot the bass the bbm would have a hard time oppening up. I guess it's because fuzz pedals try to conpress the signal, Mabye ?
    But my bbm would only act up if i boosted the bass All the Way.

5. I'm wonder if I utilize both outputs (dry and effect) that I'll be able to keep the booming low end via dry and keep the fuzz with bass boost.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I also noticed big muffs and active basses don't get along. I had a green russian big muff that sounded great with a passive bass but with an active it would get muddy.