1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Big Muff vs. Classic Big Muff Pi

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cornelius Dawse, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hey guys! I've read some reviews about the Bass Big Muff Pi and the classic USA Big Muff Pi, and I've seen videos to compare the sound... and I prefered the sound of the casual Big Muff over the Bass one, which is supposed to be made exactly for bass.
    I might get one of those, since I need a new fuzz-od-distortion, and they seem to be the best I can afford (I spent a lot of money on a new bass, so I don't have much left)

What do you guys think of those two?

2. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    if possible i would suggest trying both.
    I have tried a Bass Big muff, a Little Big Muff and a Black Russian Muff and had the least success with the Bass muff, sure it has a clean blend but the tone to my ears wasn't great. I quite liked the Little Big Muff sound but it did lose a little low end. The black Russian was by far the best. Using a Way Huge Swollen Pickle atm, no low end loss there. Maybe see if you can get something slightly better than what you have mentioned second hand??

If your set on one of the two and if this is your first fuzz pedal, either of them are a pretty good place to start in the world of Fuzzzzzzz

3. Hum... I bet those Black Russians are hard to find, are they?

4. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    well, they certainly are here in New Zealand, a guy i know sold his one to me, I still have it, but the thing is to big for my pedalboard. I'm not sure about Canada/US but you should be able to find one with a little patience. Even better than the Black are the Green Russians which are pretty difficult to find. There are plenty of companies/makers that do clones of these pedals that are actually sometimes better sounding and use better parts etc, and have a smaller footprint. Check out the Wren and Cuff website!

5. Thanks a lot, checking this out right now.
    I've always loved EHX, but never owned one myself.

6. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Goodluck!

7. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    I love the Russian Big Muff sound, and found exactly what I was looking for from Stomp Under Foot. www.stompunderfoot.com I have a 'Civil War' muff clone and it is awesome. Matt does great work! Lots of sound clips of the muff variants on his web site so you can find exactly the sound you're looking for.

8. Well, after consulting the website, I'm affraid Wren And Cuff aren't for me... I guess I'll just try both Big Muff, and see if they suit me! That's what you get for GASing as a young student on budget!

9. Well THAT'S interesting :D Actually, all this gives me a lot of opportunities for the future!
    And the shipping to Canada is the cheapest! Thanks a lot, mate!

10. For my part, I have used the USA Big Muff and switched to the Bass Big Muff after a/b'ing it with a black russian Muff.

The USA muff is more fuzzed at lower settings then the 2 others at with an high output bass, you don't have much room to work with in terms of settings before too much low cut occurs. I use a G&L L2K and there was just too much low cut for me to be happy with the original USA muff.

I chose the Bass Big muff over the black russian because :
    - I could get the exact same tone out of both pedals
    - The Bass Big Muff has the extra "Bass boost" and "Clean blend" options which come very handy.

Try them all, but don't pass on the Bass Big Muff just because it seems just too obvious to get the bass version...;)

11. Nice tip, thanks. I wasn't too sure since I heard you could easily get lost in the mix. Do you have anything to say about that?

12. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    my 2 cents about the EHX Bass Big Muff: one of the worst pedals i have ever owned, sold it in record time because i could not find any setting that i liked.

I also own the green & black Sovtek Big Muffs, both are great, the green one even better. In the current process of downsizing my pedal board i replaced the Sovteks with the new MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe and i´m happy so far.

13. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Haven't tried the classic USA Big Muff, but I own both the Bass Big Muff and the Little Big Muff. I don't really like the sound of either, both have very different sounds and I don't really prefer one over the other. Not bad for at-home play, couldn't imagine using them live unless I was looking for the sound where the band drowns me out completely.

14. I had the Black Russian Muff Pi and it was amazing. I would love to get my hands on another one.

15. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    my 2 cents about the EHX Bass Big Muff: one of the worst pedals i have ever owned, sold it in record time because i could not find any setting that i liked.

I also own the green & black Sovtek Big Muffs, both are great, the green one even better. In the current process of downsizing my pedal board i replaced the Sovteks with the new MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe and i´m happy so far.

16. That did deserve to be said twice.

17. Is it that bad? There's a lot of good reviews out there (although it's needless to say that I trust this website wayyyyyy more than anything else)

18. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    You'll have to definitely try it for yourself. You may like it, or may not like it (like what seems to be the majority of us).

19. Indeed. I just don't like the digital fuzz from my Zoom B1, so I thought about getting another one that is affordable and that will sound less ''synthetic'', I then considered the Big Muffs, but maybe it's not a good idea.

20. The EHX Muffs, in general, scoop the sound. It sounds sweet in the bedroom, and gets lost in a band mix.
    There are way better alternatives. I know you have a low budget, I have bought great clones for cheap (a wooly mammoth for $55). With some determination a way better pedal can be had for cheap.
    What is your budget for fuzz?