1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Bigg Muff or Boss ODB-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Razzi, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Razzi

Razzi

Jul 16, 2009
    Trying to decide between these two. I looked up some videos on youtube, and I like the Bigg Muff's sound a little more but it seems every bassist I know uses Boss pedals. I don't entirely trust Youtube for sound clarity so I figured I'd ask around here for opinions.

2. I think most people use Boss because it's a familiar name and they are built to last. I'm actually planning on replacing my ODB-3 with a Bass Big Muff, FWIW.

3. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    well, this is my opinion.
    i would go with the muff because i am currently selling my ODB-3 on here.
    this is because the ODB-3 does not really produce the tone i want.

( i was trying more for the burton tone, so the muff obvously would have been the best bet for that....stupid me)

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Buy from a store that stocks both and has a good return exchange policy.

IM(not asked for)O there are better pedals out there than both BBM and the ODB-3; if it's fuzz you are looking for.

And FWIW you'll find a lot of bassists that refuse to use BOSS pedals. Just saying.

5. 3k Mylz

3k Mylz

Oct 4, 2009
    Big Muff hands down - Dry out, more options. Electro-Harmonics makes better stuff anyway; you will know where the extra money went.

6. I have had TONS of fuzz pedals and overdrive pedals....

I still have BOTH the BBM and ODB-3.

If it's your first pedal, i'd suggest the BBM, JUST because it's easier to get workable sounds from. But, for me, if it came down to it, i'd let go of the BBM before i let go of the ODB-3.

7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Boss pedals are good for touring musicians because they're available at almost every music store, so replacements are easy.

I'd get the muff, though.

8. +10000

I love the scoffs on tour from some local band with a stupid expensive board that has probably never traveled more than 50 miles when i show up with a board full of Boss/Guyatone/EHX/Digitech/DOD/MXR.... :rollno:

9. I have the Russian Big Muff and the ODB-3, I personally think the big muff gives you a warmer, smoother sound that I find very appealing vs the ODB-3 which has a little crisper sound. Running them both together is an amazing experience. But for one over the other my vote goes to the Big Muff.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you play hard rock and heavy metal, the boss odb-3 would be a good choice. if you want other options for a good and decent bass distortion pedals, check out the digitech xbd bass overdrive/distortion pedal, the ibanez pd-7 phat-hed bass overdrive pedal, the mxr m-80 bass d.i+ distortion pedal, and the tech 21 xxl bass edition distortion pedal.

11. I have both and use them for different things. I use the ODB-3 when I want a harsher, more compressed sound with more treble. The BBM I typically use when I want a bassier fuzz. The BBM seems like it has more tonal options, but in my experience the only setting that actually works with a band is the "bass boost setting". Dry and Normal are good for bedroom experimentation but tend to get lost in the mix. For the money, the ODB-3 can get a pretty damn good imitation of Chris Wolstenholme's tone on songs like Hysteria and Plug In Baby.

EDIT: I've also seen people use the ODB-3 as more of a dark boost, but I think that sounds like garbage and just ends up getting lost in the mix. Just my opinion though.

12. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    Big Muff, especially if you're playing in a band. I have both pedals as well, and I've found the low end drops out way more on the ODB in a live setting...at least from what I've tried with it.