1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass+Bike

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by We_are_peppers, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I might be insane for having tried this, but there are a few thousand other bassists on this sight so maybe I'm not alone. My motorcycle (Honda CBR 250r) is my sole mode of transportation, and that makes running to practice and back a serious hassle. Does anybody else fight this battle, and if so, how do you make the commute? Or am I alone in this respect? Please feel free to let me know if I'm making life harder than it needs to be, but don't be too harsh unless you own a bike.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I know there is at least one guy here that does it occasionally.

I think my bass would turn into a sail on my bike so I'm not going to try it.

3. I'm sorry guys. I just realized I'm in the wrong forum. I'm new here and to social media in general.

4. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Your profile doesn't say where you are. I sure hope you don't have to deal with snow where you live -- commuting in the rain on a bike is bad enough, but commuting on snow and ice would be miserable. and if you're doing it on a sportbike, any amount of speed would make wearing a gig-bag backpack miserable.

How bad is it for you? I can see making it back and forth to rehearsals with a backpack-type gig bag for your bass, but I have no idea how youI'd be able to carry an SVT and the 810 cab... trailer?

5. That can be fixed with the right gig bag if you don't mind potentially digging into your shoulders. I just couldn't choose between my two loves: making music and making every drive a terrifying experience.

6. Snow isn't a problem as I'm from west Texas. I strap a practice amp to the passenger seat and leave my gigging rig in the van.

7. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Well, west means that there's no snow, no ice, and not that much rain, right? In other words, you live in about the world's best place for commuting on a bike... if you can take the heat that goes with the safety gear.

It sounds like you've been wearing the gig bag like a backpack. Have you thought about strapping the body to the seat, and having the neck pointing backwards behind you? That would fix the problem with aerodynamic drag.

8. That would be absolutely genius if it didn't leave me without a way to strap on my amp unless I stacked the two. My bike is a standard dressed like a sport bike. My feet are positioned directly under me.

As far as the weather goes, you're right I couldn't ask for better conditions. The local drivers on the other hand... To be honest, they're probably the toughest part of the whole operation.

9. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Any chance of getting a bolt-on luggage rack for stacking? or adapting a rigid side mount from some saddlebags? If you had rigid saddlebag mounts maybe you could put the amp on one side and the bass on the other.

I've done this sort of thing a few times, custom fabricating tubular mounting brackets to adapt hard bags from one bike to another.

10. I'm guessing that money issues are keeping you on the bike? And a side car would be cost prohibitive? If not, maybe you could you add a side car, but instead of a seat, build it with a rack to accommodate your gear? Or maybe you need to think about getting something with four wheels, at this point. Obviously, it's not as fun, but that bike is worth as much as a decent used car, isn't it?

Not trying to be hard on you. I feel for you. When I was a young guy, the first three years that I was working, I commuted (to work) by bicycle and skateboard. I wasn't dealing with music gear at the time, but it was pretty tough, as it was.

11. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    If your by chance hauling an upright, make a simple frame with 2 side by side wheels on an axle.

12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I did it for five years when I was living and gigging in Seoul - I found that a snug, well made backpack gig worked wonders - and I either left a combo amp or cab (with a portable head in the gig bag) at the practice studio - or brought a tone shaping DI and ran direct. Mind you any place we played had a provided back line, so it wasn't a 'my amp is part of sound' situation as I would be on 2 or 3 different amps a week. Just beware of low-hanging anything :)

13. nutsch

nutsch

Oct 22, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Not enough bass players on bike around, but you can check surfer gear, that would probably work: http://www.surferpeg.com/

14. I've taken my bike to go make Craigslist purchases, so, yeah, it works great with the case flat on the back of the bike. I've never carried an amp at the same time, but a light 12" cab could easily sit on top of the bass even with a softside case like a Roadrunner (but perhaps not with a gig bag). Any small head can fit in a backpack, and a class D can fit in a tankbag.

Hell, a couple garbage bags and you're even rainproof.

(Rainproof? Oh yeah, you're in Texas. Nevermind)

15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    From personal experience:
    I would not much like to ride with a regular size, 34" bass strapped to my back (and I am an ATGATT rider so I still have a back protector) since it feels to dangerous in case of a crash. However, I could imagine strapping my Danelectro Longhorn bass in a guitar soft-ish case/bag to my back as it is lighter, smaller and not as rigid and strong = less risk of back injury.
    As already suggested, fitting some kind of custom made mounts would be a good idea in my book, in case your bike is a "keeper". For many bikers the GAS seems even worse than with musicians...

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Please tell me you meant to post this topic on the DB side. :D

17. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    I had a friend who used to ride a sport bike to his rehearsals. His method was to (in a gig bag) use bungee cords to strap the body of the bass to the rear seat and leave the neck hanging off the back. Worked for him. He never had any issues. Just be smart about the way you strap it. If it comes loose, it could be a missile on the freeway.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I have put my bass (in a gig bag) in my saddlebag on the Harley for a short commute to band practice...amp was already there. Just slide the body end of the gig bag into the saddlebag and secure it with a bungee cord.
    back in the 70-80's I had a sidecar and would put my small practice amp and instrument in a hard case in the sidecar.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I haven't carried a bass guitar, but I have carried a 2x4 on a motorcycle. That was a once in a lifetime experience. I want to keep it to once.

20. beats a sheet of plywood...