1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Blowouts!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Mar 6, 2013.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    It's been nagging at me that I have a fairly significant collection of basses that have been in the store for 2-3 years or more. The number of basses in that collection is too high, so I'm going to be making a concerted effort to find homes for them. I'm slashing prices, I'm taking fresh photos, and I'll provide detailed descriptions of the condition.

There are really two types of basses that you'll find in this thread. The first type are the "floor models" that actually hung on a wall in our Draper Rd store and saw some action during their time there. The second type are the "new in the box" ones that have spent all their time here in their case inside their shipping box. They might have been pulled out a few times for someone to try, but they were not within easy reach of day-to-day foot traffic at the store.

I'll describe the condition of the floor models in painstaking detail - I don't want anyone to be suprised by some small scratch that I neglected to mention. That said, please understand what these "floor model" basses are. They've been played, and they are not pristine (unless I say they are). If you're the kind of guy that is going to be bugged by a little pickguard scratch, then this thread is probably not for you.

At the prices I'm going to be offering on these basses, I will not be able to offer our usual 7-day return policy (which is no restocking fees, I eat the outbound shipping & you pay just the return shipping). Any basses that ship as a result of being in this thread will incur a 5% restocking fee if they come back.

Also please note that any bass appearing in this thread is no longer a floor model. I want to be able to guarantee that whatever condition I describe here is the same condition you will receive.

So with all those happy thoughts out of the way, let's start with some basses! I've re-shot a couple of Gadow basses, and I've knocked their prices way down.

Model: Gadow Custom 5-String (Spalted Quilted Maple)
    Arrived: 6/3/2010
    Original Price: [del]$3569[/del]
    Blowout Price: $2750
    Type: Floor Model
    Terms: 5% Restocking Fee if returned
    Condition: This bass was a floor model for the first year it was here, but it has been in the case & box since May 2011. The bass is pristine. No fretwear, no pitting on the chrome hardware, no scratches or dings. Oh, and it's GORGEOUS!!!
    3342-UPDATED.
    3342-UPDATED-BACK.
    3342-UPDATED-BODY.

Model: Gadow Classic 4-String (Black)
    Arrived: 10/29/2009
    Original Price: [del]$1719[/del]
    Blowout Price: $1299
    Condition: This bass has been a floor model it's entire time here. It is in very good condition. No serious dings, scratches, or fretwear. There are some minor scratches on the pickguard, this one has been played quite a bit more than the first one.
    3107-UPDATED.
    3107-UPDATED-BACK.
    3107-UPDATED-BODY.

2. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    PS - I'll continue to add to this list of blowout basses as time permits me to re-shoot & inspect them. If you know of any basses that have been here a long time that you'd like me to bump to the top of my list for processing, feel free to chime in right here in this thread!

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Damn, that's crazy for that quilt top Gadow, crazy!

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yup - these are PRICED TO MOVE. :D

I long ago gave up hope of making money on any of the basses you'll find in this thread. I'll just be happy if I can get my cost back out of 'em. :help::D

Not that they're bad basses. Just some combination of bad pictures, bad description or a lack of me pushing them resulted in them sticking around for too long... time to get the old ones out, and some new ones in!

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I think in Gadows case too, he's not so known for his basses, despite them being incredible. Mine is one of my very fave instruments, though I keep swapping preamps on it all the time.

6. Yaba daba doo. I was lucky to play that fiver...it is awesome. The look is too-cool-for-school, and it plays like a dream. Between the pickups, placement, and pre, the sound is FEROCIOUS. I have to admit, I'd just assumed it sold quite some time ago. Bottom line: if you're looking at this thread with any level of interest: JUMP. You will be happy.

7. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Cool basses. Someone will grab one, hopefully two.

Maybe call Joe M. - he needs more basses these days...:)

8. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Let's add some Roscoe action to this thread, whaddaya say? I've had this fretless in stock for quite a while, and the original photos I took were too yellow. With my recent acquisition of a new camera (Canon 6D), I've been able to really dial in on the correct colors. You'll notice that the backdrop looks a lot bluer these days (it used to look much more green), and that's quite a bit more accurate and life-like.

Anywho, here's the Roscoe:

Model: Roscoe FL SKB-3005 (Box Elder Burl, Ebony) **SOLD**
    Arrived: 11/12/2009
    Original Price: [del]$3565[/del]
    Blowout Price: Call or PM (I can go lower than I show on my site, but I'm not allowed to say how much lower in public)
    Condition: This bass was a floor model for the first 1-2 years it was here, but it has been in the case & box since May 2011. The bass is mint/pristine, and it looks and sounds incredible.
    3009-UPDATED.
    3009-UPDATED-BACK.
    3009-UPDATED-BODY.

9. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    ^ I was fortunate to play this bass last June and it is incredible. If I didn't have a Roscoe fretless I would pounce. I am sure Greg's price is more than fair.

Think of it as an early Christmas present for yourself!

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I was afraid this would be listed. I also played this SKB in June. I almost bought it. I have recently picked up a different Roscoe fretless 5, but have also thought about this one again and again. It plays beautifully, and the ebony fingerboard is to die for - as is the tone.

Nothing wrong with having a pair of Roscoe 5's, right... :help:

Calling Ryan...

11. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    LOL - yeah, I didn't want Ryan Gadow to think I was picking on him. This will be an equal opportunity thread for all the brands I carry if I end up with stale stock. Some brands like Lull and Roscoe may preclude me from showing my best price, but they all allow discounting on items that hang around too long.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ugh. Greg, can you PM me the price on this one?

13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    :)

I, too, am curious...:meh:

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow!! PM received. The "wife talk" will be happening this evening.

15. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    This bass is destined to live in North Dakota, isn't it?!?

16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, hopefully Ryan will take it. I certainly don't "need" another fretless 5 - although I could string one of them E-C.

I just don't know how it hasn't sold over all this time. It plays great and sounds amazing. Looks pretty nice, too.

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It's looking that way. :)

18. Ryan....freaking awesome! I too played this bass. Knowing it would be awesome...I was still knocked out by it. Said it before, prolly say it again a few hundred more times....nothing on the planet plays like an SKB fiver. When you match that with this kind of sonic mojo, watch out world! Outstanding to hear that this one is going to a most excellent home.

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, it's not *totally* official yet, but pretty close...........

20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Good. Not only does Ryan need a good fretless, but then there's one less Roscoe for me to lust after.