bass body help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by azn_bassist, Jun 23, 2005.

1. azn_bassist

Jun 22, 2005
    im new to the forums :)
    im planning to build myself a custom bass and i just got the wood for the body today. i got three 20"x11.75"x0.75" peices of poplar im going to glue on top of each other and sand down. i looked at my design that i have all drawn out and its all kool and all but when i compared it to my gsr200, its really really thin. i was wondering if theres a limit to how thin i should keep the bass. remenber its going to be preaty thick
  2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Well, it seems that 1.75" is the general thickness for electric solid-bodies. Of course, you can't make it TOO thin, unless you want to use trimpots and watch batteries (for active electrics). The thinest that I've seen is 1.5" thick. However, that width.... 11.75"? That doesn't leave you with much to work with. Then again, TBer tjclem has sucessfully made some pretty narrow-bodied basses. You could always make it a travel bass or something. :smug:
  3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    With a body that small and made of Poplar....A light wood......You are begging for neck dive. Use very lightweight tuners or make it headless.....t
  4. azn_bassist

Jun 22, 2005
    i jus took some measurements. the middle of my custom bass is 13cm wide which is the smallest and on my gsr200 its 23cm. how much should i aim for??