Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass body purchased, need help with wood ID

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mlwarriner, Jan 23, 2005.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    i bought this off eBay, and the seller didn't list what kind of wood it was, so i was hoping someone here could help out... all i know is that it came from brazil :)

anyhow, see the pics if you would. any help is much appreciated.

please and thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hmmm...I don't know but ebay offers a "ask the seller a question" feature that would give you an answer right away.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    he bought it already AND the seller doesn't know what wood it is.

maybe one of the pros will know once they all get home from NAMM... I've got a limited knowledge of woods, so I'll skip my guess.

4. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

i asked the seller before i bid on it, and never got a response from him...was hoping one of the pros here might have an eye for it...

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It usually takes him a while to get email back to you- it's probably caixeta, or louro canela. He's a good guy, but keep in mind that his shop is out in the Brazilian jungle, and he only gets to his email a couple times a week.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Oh, also, the shipping on this will take every bit of the 24 days. Be patient, it'll show. He wraps them in kraft paper a couple times, so be prepared to do some sanding to get out minor bumps. I have two of his bodies, they're decent quality, but mine are short scale, so I'll end up making a piccolo out of mine.

7. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    actually, i won the auction a little over a week ago, and it's already sitting in my house in kansas...i was amazed, as i was expecting it to take the whole time as well. now if i were just there to work on it...instead of sitting in baghdad... :mad:

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Amazing! I would have bet money on it taking the full time- I guess his shippers are getting more used to his stuff going to the US. Wish you were here, too! Be careful over there- are you military or contractor?

9. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    military for about 2 more weeks, then it's back to ft. livingroom (im national guard) :hyper: