Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass body wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deezle4, Mar 24, 2005.

1. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    So, like many people I've seen post, I am thinking about building a bass from replacement parts. I did a forum search for body wood but didn't really come up with much. I've seen a few different types of body woods. Are there any major differences in the types of wood?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might think about having a moderator move this to "Luthier's Corner". Lots of good info available on that forum.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    There are TONS of difference in wood types, apart from appearance! :D The wood you chose plays a big roll in how your bass will sound. Many will say that the wood defines your bass's tone. Others will say it's the electronics. I say it's the wood. Anywho... some woods will give a bright sound, some a deep murky sound, and combinations in between. I absolutely LOVE picking out woods. Call me wierd, but when I go to hardware stores and lumber yards, I get all giggly and think of the possibilities. Walnut, oh sweet walnut!

5. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks for the info. That link had a ton of info.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    There was a site (rampartguitars.com) that had info on about 50 different woods, but they've been "reworking" their site for several months now.