Bass Body woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Ruiz, Feb 5, 2002.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I am going to be building a bass soon, or actually my guitarist who builds his guitars is going to, But at any rate I am going to design it, and I was wondering what kind of wood combos work well together for the sound I want.

The tone I am looking for is a tight, punchy round one. I play progressive metal/Jazz Metal and want to be heard through a distorted and heavy guitar sound without being too loud... anyways thanks for the help in advance!

For aesthetic purposes I was thinking about a Birdseye maple top with a Walnut or Ovangkol body and a Gonkalo Alves neck with a Birdseye maple fretboard, But tone wise I don't know where that takes me... Anybody have any Ideas or alternate suggestions?

The only thing I am pretty set on is the Birdseye top and fretboard.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search. This topic has been gone over and over several times.
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Definately Koa for the body, and either a spalted maple, or a nice piece of figured koa top
  4. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Progbass, your suggested woods will definately keep you on the ground. It will be heavy!
    It may also be a little too mellow for your taste.
    An approx 50-50 body of walnut and maple and a stiff and lightweight neck is my suggestion.
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  7. First of all, for a neck I would suggest an ebony or birdseye maple fretboard with a maple neck. Aggressive, biting and sustaining.

Then for the body I would suggest a mix of alder or mahogany if possible, or if not, I agree with Zon Bass in that koa is a terrific (but EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE AND RARE) body wood. It is warm, yet punchy with a clear high end. Another one to try would be swamp ash, which has good punch and warmth but isnt as aggressive and biting sounding as alder.

For the top, which is mostly aesthetic purposes, I think flame walnut, flame koa, bubinga and quilted maple are all gorgeous. (Especially flame walnut and koa; they are majestic looking.) My two absolute favorite woods are kingwood and cocobolo; but both of those are ABSURDELY EXPENSIVE AND INCREDIBLY RARE, even more so than flame koa. I'd say go with a flame walnut top; it'd be cheaper (it is in the Western USA) than several of the other woods I've mentioned.

G.A.S has set in.......argh......flame walnut and flame koa have rendered me :p :D