Bass Book Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jackaroe, Jun 9, 2002.

1. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    What are some good ones i should check out? Maybe something that covers Funk, Jazz, or just an overall view? Any check this book out? thanx for any advice -jay-Book
  2. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    Deluxe jazz and rock bass method by vincent bredice. has practicly everything you need to know about playing bass
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, Vinnie's books are cool. Even his writing style is dry and witty.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland

Funk Fusion Bass by Jon Liebman

I like Ed's book a bit more though.

It provides you with the theory that goes behind creating a line. Liebman's book teaches you theory and some techniques but doesnt make you think and work your mind as much as Friedlands.
  6. Electric bass studies - jaco pastorios
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Check out Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book which comes with a CD. It is written by Mark Hiland. I suggest this book because the solid foundation it gives in twelve bar blues and its variations, the blues scales and major and minor pentatonic scales, turnarounds, intros and outros, blues history, a description of blues styles, many, many examples which are complete songs and not just a four bar passage---all of the above are important not only in blues, but in much of rock, country and pop.

The book moves from simple exercises up to much more comples jazz blues. Thus having this thorough background will serve one well in many different styles of music.

The book is written in clear, simple language and uses both tab and standard notation. The CD is good for playing along with. I've mentioned this book mnay times in the two years I have been here at Talkbass. I still think it is one of the best bass books for beginning and intermediate bass players. I only wish I could have had the book from the first day I picked up a bass.

It is available in many book stores such as Borders and Barnes and Noble or check:
  8. check out Serious Electic Bass by Joel DiBartolo.. i think vic himself even uses it.....
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I was looking at this book in GC the other day. It looked good in that it covers the fundamentals, and works blues/rock, funk and jazz into the mix.

The book doesn't use tab, what it does is show you the fingerings for the first couple of exercises in the section you're working in, then you use that to figure out the fingerings for the rest of the pieces in that section, so you learn to read music as you learn to play. Did this come out clear enough?

This book is definitely worth your time to check out. After looking at it, I wish my teacher would use "Serious Electric Bass" instead of the Chuck Rainey book I am now using.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    how'z about "funkifying the clave"?

bass-talkers highly recommend this one?

thinking about getting it.
  11. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Chord Studies for Trombone by Phil Wilson and Joseph Viola.
    Some of the most difficult fingerings I've come across are in this book not to mention the wealth of harmonic information. This stuff can be applied to anything.

Charlie Parker Omnibook- this is great stuff to explore. Gets really into chord substitutions and a pretty much everything needed to play hip jazz solos. Even if your not into soloing, check out what he's doing harmonically and apply it to your own stuff. Jaco thought enough of Paker's sax playing that he made "Donna Lee",a Charlie Parker tune, the first tune on his debut c.d. So why not check out a whole book of Parker's solos? There are tons of cool harmonic ideas here that you won't find in probably 95% of bass books and they can be applied to funk and rock rhythms(any rhythms really) and sound really hip.

Any book by Anthony Vitti.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown....forget the authors name but he's not important. These are a bunch of James Jamerson(main bassist for Motown back in the day) transcriptions,a bio of Jamerson, and some commentary on Jamerson by alot of smokin' bassists. We all steal from Jamerson whether we know it or not. The originator of funk bass. If you need to work on your reading chops,this is the book that will get you into shape.
  12. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid. Enough there to keep you busy for a loooong time!
  13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    i bought "Improvisors Bass Method" by Chuck Sher recently on recommendation from Steve Lawson.

I've only scratched on the surface but it has SO much info, hundreds of excercises and numerous transcriptions of 'classic bass lines.
    The chapters at the back of the book look like quantum physics so I'm pretty sure it goes deep enough!
  14. gilmanta

May 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
  15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Oh yeah, Steve also recommended Carol Kaye's books... but I spekt her name wrong and couldn't find anything about her. doh!