Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Boost for the Guv'nor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love my Guv'nor a ton, but i'm also a bass freak. Even with the bass cranked on the Guv'nor, i'm still missing some low end. I was thinking, in the loop thing on my Guv'nor, could I hook up some sort of bass booster or EQ pedal in it? I don't want it on always, only when I switch on my Guv'nor.

Also, how does the loop thing work on the Guv'nor? It only has 1 jack... I must need a Y cord i'm guessing?

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, by adding the EQ or bass booster or whatever, could I get the Guv'nor to sound like a rat? I know, I derailed this thread all by myself. :scowl:

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i dont see why not. the only issue i can see is that, given that the effects loop is within the guv circuit, using a boost that simply retains the bass signal, wont be enough (because the guv takes away the bass) so what you will need then is a boost that really boosts the bass frequencies. one that comes to mind, and its cheapish, is the pro tone low gear thruster: http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=lowgear . its also true bypass. i cant vouch for this product though because ive never used it.

of course your other option is to retain your bass signal outside the guv`nor by using an ls-2 set to blend. the good thing about the ls-2 is that its active so you can adjust the volume of each loop and therefore the amount of bass signal that you want to blend with the guv signal. unfortunately its not true bypass.

as for the 1 jack dilemma.. i guess it needs a stereo jack split to 2 mono jacks?

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So this pedal will crank the bass up?

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i believe so, but as i say i havent used it, it was just something that came to mind. heres some harmony central reviews on the e~h pedal that the low gear thruster is based on.

otherwise some sort of eq within the loop ought to work fine.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't think a bass booster in the effects loop will help. The effects loop is *after* the effect just before the output jack. The purpose of the effects loop is to turn off the effects in the loop when the Guv'nor is turned off.

It looks like the Guv'nor should actually be fairly good at maintaining the bass. If there is any loss, I would guess it is in the tone stack. If you, or any of your friends, are good with a soldering iron, you could try shorting out the tone stack. If you get the bass back, the tone stack could be modified.

Yup! It's a TRS (Tip Ring Send) jack. You can get a Y adapter at any good music store. Mixers use them a lot.

I think you will have problems. They have some fundamental differences.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome seanm and xan.

A bit off topic, but what are the fundamental differences seanm?

7. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK

the loop on the guv'nor so im told, is for, bypassing the preamp in guitaramps, so you dont overdrive your overdrive in your amp.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm not sure what you mean, but i'm pretty sure you're referring to guitar amps right? I don't have overdrive on mine. I was told that it's for only using a certain pedal with the Guv'nor, kinda like a loooper.