1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass + boost pedal + all-tube amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MascisMan, Aug 27, 2007.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Has anyone experimented with using boost pedals on bass to push a tube bass amp into overdrive?

Guitarists do it all the time to create a 'natural' overdrive. Im wondering if the same theory would work on bass?

I have an Orange AD200 and play a Jazz through it. I usually have the Master all the way up and then use the gain to adjust volume. This of course grants me the cleanest possible tone out of the amp.

Im wondering if a boost pedal would affect a tube bass amp the same way it does a with a regular guitar and tube amp.

2. I've tried it with my AD200 and didn't like it, but I actually don't like the overdrive I get from cranking my AD200 gain knob with bass. I Prefer a tubescreamer.

I also tried my AD200 though a 1960a with an SG and a boost pedal once, it was really cool!

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hmmm now thats interesting.

So you found that boosting the AD200 worked better with guitar than with bass.

Is your tubescreamer modified for better bass response?

4. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Wait, You have your master cranked, So you use the gain knob to adjust volume? And you get clean tone? That doesn' sound right at all.

I think you mean you have the gain set and use the master to adjust volume. The other way would tend to get overdriven a fiar bit.

Anyway, A boost pedal on a tube amp would raise the signal, Thusly cuasing it to overdrive easier yes.

5. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    It works. I've also tried using a Treble Booster, you know, one of those vintage overdrive style things, which wasn't my style on bass. It was cool though, it sounded like my amp would explode. But you've got to be pushing the right amp for it to sound good. In my experience tube bass amps can futz out a little on the low notes when you distort them. Probably depends on the tubes you've got in them. Boosting my Ampeg a little bit with the gain cranked I was able to get some fairly heavy distortion, actually, though I've never spent much time playing with it because I always have my amp set cleaner.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

I have the AD200B as well. If I want overdriven tones I MAX the GAIN and then adjust the Master to taster. The gain cranked is where you'll get the crunch and dirt.

Also, if your bass is passive and it's not getting the overdriven tones, you might wanna get an active preamp and use that. My passive Gretsch doesnt' get much OD, but my Stringray 5 gets really gritty.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Full Master + Gain to taste is as clean as possible because your limiting the input signal that hits your preamp. More headroom.

Full Gain + Master to taste is more overdrive because you are maxing out the input signal to the preamp tubes. Less headroom. This is why the boost pedal creates overdrive. It boosts the signal gain coming in from the bass.

Am I saying this wrong?

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i don't know the technical aspects of it. i just know, if i crank Gain, I get OD. If i crank Master, I get clean tone.

i thought you were looking for an OD tone? why the emphasis on finding clean tones?

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    In the initial post I stated the settings I was currently using (Full Master + little gain) to get a clean tone. My question is if I put a boost pedal out front will it overdrive the AD200 (theoretically giving me two channels, a clean and dirty) similar to how a boost pedal will overdrive a tube guitar amp.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, that works, at least in theory. The only problem (a big one IMO) is that you will also be increasing your overall signal level a lot every time you kick on the boost. It's OK if you are only using at OD at times when you want to be louder than usual, e.g. during a solo, but otherwise it would be an issue.

11. Yes, but thats because I don't like the AD200 preamp overdrive for bass.

It is, but I also sometimes use a Bad Monkey (also modded) or a Fulltone Bass Drive.