Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Feb 10, 2006.

1. My band said that I need to increase my volume on some riffs, so they jump out in the live shows. I use no pedals. Playing harder doesn't seem to give it the volume and I already have the volume knob at full juice.

What pedal do I need to boost my notes? An overdrive? Are there boost pedals?

Who has a nice one for sale? Thanks for any help. Need to get one by March.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You have your amps volume on full??? If you meant your basses volume, then just turn up the amp and turn down your bass, so that way you can crank the bass when needed. The volume on your bass is there for a reason. Also, maybe try boosting your mids so you cut through a bit more. Just some suggestions.

3. Turning my bass guitar volume up and down during a song is the last thing I want to do. I am looking to stomp on a pedal and then stop off it.

Are there pedals that do this without leading to major distortion?

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Ok, what about just a volume pedal then?

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The MXR Micro Amp is a great clean boost. It has one knob and one stomp, so it's super easy to use.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

7. The MXR says "guitar" but it can be used for bass? The sansamp is too much money.

it also says for "solos." My problem is, I have these little runs that are played when the band turns silent, but I am not popping through as loud as I should. I don't really want to turn my amp volume up because I vary so much in how aggressive I play--the music can really drive me and I become very aggressive on the strings. I don't want to have to fiddle with the pot because I cannot do it without stopping. A pedal is the way for me to go.

Is a volume pedal better for this than a boost, which keeps referring to bass solos?

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Just because you have a booster pedal doesn't mean that you HAVE to use it during solos... Just when you want louder, you switch it on. It really doesn't get easier.

I think the volume pedal would be too much hassle. It's like 4 times bigger, and just setting it would be different.

EDIT: And yes it works fine for bass. It's just a clean boost so it won't really alter anything.

9. Cool, thanks. I will buy it soon!!!

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Some thoughts:

The question of 'it says guitar, but...' is a good one. Many guitar pedals DON'T work well for bass; this is usually due to frequency response - not being able to preserve the lows. The MXR is broad-band, though, as far as I know.

You're bringing up the definition of 'solo'. 'runs when the band turns silent' IS a bass 'solo' - by definition (I know what you mean, though).

If the band is having a hard time hearing you.. I'm picturing a scene where maybe you're never loud enough, but it's more noticeable during these bass-break fills.

Keep in-mind that if you're trying to push lows that are beyond the capability of your speaker, you're just burning-up your power for nothing. MIDS are what 'cut-through' a mix, y'know! If you have a mid-scooping 'conture'-type switch or control, use it when you practice alone - but then turn it OFF with the full-band!

****Now here's the important part****
    Especially if you're low-on-dough, I'd consider my options more carefully if I were you! Remember that there are MANY pedals that'll give you a level boost when you stomp'em - you should be deciding on the most bang for your buck, by deciding what it is you'd like along with that boost FOR "FREE"!

If this is going to be your ONLY pedal, I'd never go with a straight clean-boost -- why?

What'll it be? Distortion? Compression? Equalizer? All these types of pedals can work as a straight clean-boost, if you want, but you end-up with much, much greater functionality along with it!

I happen to really be a fan of Boss pedals. I'd suggest that you consider:

1) ODB-3 -- can work as a perfectly clean boost, or clean with bass and treble adjustment or boost with light overdrive, or boost with heavy distortion, or any of the above with bass and treble adjustment... PLUS it has blend, so on top of all that you can mix your pure-as-the-driven-snow bass back in with it. NOW THAT'S SOME BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK, DUDE! The ODB is my choice for O.D. and distortion/fuzz.

2) GEB-7 -- perfectly clean boost, or the same boost with very powerful, transforming equalization! You'll be able to tear their heads off with mids on that one - they'll beg you to muzzle that beast!

3) LMB-3 -- clean boost with limiter - the limiter allows you to crank your amp to it's ablolute safe-max, while protecting your speakers, protecting from objectionable distortion, AND it levals-out your playing dynamics so you can 'hold your place in the mix' better. ..And I haven't even mentioned the enhancer yet - your bandmates are asking you to 'enhance' your sound a little, right? With this one, you'll think that you doubled your amp power!

4) CS-3 -- I never play without my CS-3! It'll turn you into a 'wall-of-sound', Man! ..with boost and a tone control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I think it'd be unwise to buy a clean boost pedal. You're looking for more than that, anyway. I sat here trying to decide on an official recommendation to you, but you could just roll-the-dice if you want; ANY of these four suggestions would be a great choice - and they're 'built like tanks'!

The advice I'm so-far seeing here isn't looking a your 'big picture', I don't think...

Glad to help --

Joe

11. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    If you just want a drop volume, clean boost is what you need.
    MXR Micro Amp will this job right!

12. drop volume? I want to boost volume. And I was quick to the gun and bought one off ebay for $50.

the mxr that is. If it doesnt fit, I will sell it on here.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree. Nearly every pedal I've bought lately is ALSO a booster. OK, so you already bought the MXR, no big deal. It's a fine pedal and it'll get the job done. But if it dissatisfies you whenever, and you're looking at other options, just go to a "boutique" website like Pedalgeek or Steve's Music and browse through the listings until you see something sexy that happens to also provide clean boost -most of them do, these days.

14. Thanks. I think this is the safest way to go about it, over turning up my amp and having to adjust the darn volume knob while playing. No thanks. Just let me stomp and unstomp. so much easier.

for 50 bucks, it's no skin off my back and it should do just fine.

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have a look at the Protone Low Gear Thruster

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

Joe.

I have issue with this though. I have a Morley PWB that I could utilize with this principal. When you do this, it is a pain in the neck. First, if the pedal isn't true bypass, then you have effected signal. Second, it can be just plain awkard to do. Third, many items that have a dual functionality like this often skim in the boost department.

Don't get me wrong- not all pedals are like this and this suggestion has merit. My only concern is the choice.

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't you eventually run the risk of overdriving your preamp? Wouldn't you have to set your preamp input gain lower so that you don't run into the red?

18. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Running into the red is exactly why I have boost set up. That little extra grit is nice for the solo-ish stuff. Maybe not so good with a solid state amp. A clean freak may not want to either I guess. Hopefully he has the headroom to handle a little boost.

I also think that a good OD deserves consideration as well, more versitile as said before.

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    How about a fulltone fatboost?

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego