Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Bootcamps

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by td1368, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'm considering attending the Gerald Veasley bootcamp in Phila, PA. Wondering if anyone else has attended any of the intensive seminars like Wootcamp or Gerald Veasely's bootcamp.

Are they good learning experiences? Or should I just stick with a regular lesson program?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Boot camp can be a scary place.

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    How so? Intimidating? or are you talking about the military?

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was talking about the military. The words "boot camp" brought back memories -- mostly of running and being yelled at.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what a bass boot camp would consist of. If you go, are you able to leave of your own free will?

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I wanted to sign up for it this past March. I never got a response to my e-mail. I called and spoke to a woman who said they would contact me. They never did. Maybe I'll try again. When are they having it?

http://www.geraldveasley.com/bassbootcamp.htm

8/23-25 at the College of the Arts in Philly. Last time it was in Reading. I don't know if I can make it down to Phill three days in a row.

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I printed out the application form. They have an option for room for the weekend as well for an extra $150 but I don't know where they put you up?

Hategear, I haven't been in the military, but I can imagine if bass bootcamp was like regular bootcamp that would be pretty funny.

7. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    td1368,

I have been offering this type of intense workshop for a while now and have had tremendous success. It will be very serious learning but NOT intimidating.

Visit this web address and you can hear clips, view pics, and read what past participants have to say about THE BASS WORKOUT. (Next session July)

http://www.jimstinnett.com/bassworkout.html

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You may already know this, but just in case....the new issue of BP with Chris Wood on the cover has a small article on the Bootcamp.

9. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Jim, thanks for the insight into what it's about but I don't think I'll be able to make it up to New Hampshire. Unless my family can camp in your back yard. :p

Timbre, Thanks, I did see the article but just wanted to know if anyone had any personal experiences.

10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'd say just take a chance and go for it. I'm sure it would be worth the money, and you're bound to learn _something_. Probably fun, too.

I really really want to go very badly. I'm trying very hard to come up with the money but it just isn't happening. It has become my mission, though. I will get there, somehow. Heheh I hope! :)

Leanne

11. im sorry folks but you will not find a better bass camp than that of the mighty Victor L. Wooten.
    Everyone is now copying his idea because it has been very sucsessfull.Veasley is a great player,but he is not on Vic's level ,both as musician and teacher.I was fortunate enough to be @ Vic's first BNC in 2000,and it truely changed my life.So if the idea of a bass camp interests you,choose the original-choose the best-
    VICTOR WOOTEN'S BASS/NATURE CAMP
    P E A C E

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Something tells me that you missed at least one lesson Victor might have been trying to get across....

13. Ahhh yes dear pac,
    Are u the same cat that used to ilve in atlanta? I remember one of your replys to one of my first posts on this site a while back.Always good for a laugh.I merely stated my opinion.If you dont like it fine,but i really didnt need to hear from you at all concerning the subject!ya dig? I can see that this site too has fallen to the 'POLITICALLY CORRECT" CROWD of over sensitivity.I really think Dan glenn and Jeff berlin are correct.Imagine spending time in practice instead of waxing eloquent in some form of verbal gratifacation.

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Now I'm sure of it.

15. yawn-------considering all the horror in the world ,does it really matter what i say in a post?
    Apparently pac,you think so.Thanks for caring.Your energy is much appreciated.

ps- have you ever considered rogaine

p e a c e

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Have you ever considered how obnoxious your posts in this thread are? Rogaine? What's next, YOUR MAMA jokes? Can't wait... :rolleyes:

17. yes sir , i in fact have considered that.Thanks for reading.I appreciate your support. who's next?
    Buler , Buler , Buler
    Stay tuned kids - pac and kentucky papa
    more wisdom shall be forthcoming.

p e a c e

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Bo, thanks for making my point for me. You illustrate perfectly what I was talking about.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Back to the subject of bootcamps, it might be helpful if anyone who has attended one could give any insight into the curriculum of same. I'm sure that Vic Wooten's camp is a fine training session, and I feel confident that in spite of some local evidence to the contrary, not all graduates emerge as bitter, attention-seeking trashtalkers. From what I've seen of Victor, this just isn't his style. Also not his style is the idea of talking down other professional players in order to elevate his own standing, which speaks for itself.

Both Veasley's and Stinnett's camps seem to have a lot going for them. Are there any others out there? If so, let's hear about them.

20. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Can we keep things on topic?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.