1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass bridge question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mbut115, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mbut115

mbut115

May 8, 2006
    So I've been hearing this, that regardless of what kind of body and neck wood it is given, as long as you have a nice bridge, it will sound better...

Right now I'm trying out some new pickups and bridge, i'm gonna buy a Squier standard jazz bass (agathis body) and install a Seymour Duncan SJB-3 pickups in... i'll most likely swap out a bridge too, i'm just wondering what kind of bridge should I use? I was thinking some BADASS bridges... any other bridge you guys might have in mind?

2. Gotoh, Hipshot, Schaller. I would go for the least expensive one first, probably a Gotoh 201.

3. and miss the duncans...

4. i have a badass II and as far as improving sound? yeah i get alot more sustain and a little mroe clarity but dont expect a sudden massive change to your tone! it will still sound the same just a little clearer.

on the pickups i never got into the seymour duncans, if you want to retain the jazz tone then try the dimarzios its just a slightly beefier yet still unmistakable jazz tone

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I'd highly recommend the Hipshot "A-style" bridge.

6. hey...what are the differences between the brass and aluminum hipshot bridges?

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hipshot actually has an explanation on their site about differences between their aluminum and brass bridges.

I vaguely remember that the aluminum was lighter and added to the highs and mids while the brass was heavier and added more to the bass, if I remember correctly.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have added the Gotoh 201 to several basses - it surely helps and is not too expensive. I think Warmoth has the best price, ~$30. It screws into the existing Fender holes and also looks a heck of a lot better.

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Big +1! That's the post I was going to write. I've been consistently happy with the Gotoh 201 and it's inexpensive. I doubt you'll really hear any improvement going to a "better" bridge from there, although you might get more adjustability. The downside of more adjustability is that it usually gets offset by less full body contact (more screws, etc.).

For $30 it's worth experimenting. For a lot more than that, I'm not so sure.

KO

10. Agree with Gio S and kraigo. The Gotoh is my "go to" bridge now (i know, i know). Less neck shimming needed than with the Badass ones.

11. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    +5 on the Gotoh 201. I have a black finished 201 on my Squier, it looks great and it's one heck of a bridge.

12. mbut115

mbut115

May 8, 2006
    thanks for the replies guys! hm.... now i'm deciding on BADASS or Gotoh 201. and i'll probably go for gotoh if it doesnt make a difference...

so you guys think i should go for gotoh?

13. mbut115

mbut115

May 8, 2006
    and are there any sites you might recommend on buy gotoh 201?? preferably close to Canada... and paypal are accepted