Bass Bridge Shim

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by powerbass, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I like to tinker w/my bass. I replaced the bridge awhile ago and liked the sound/feel, (less wolf tone) before I installed the adjusters. I made these 1/8" aluminum shims that provide a more solid relationship between the 2 bass bridge pieces. Just loosen strings, jack up adjuster, fit shim, back off adjuster, done. These shims took about 15 minutes to make, could be made out of brass, plastic, wood etc. Initial impression is totally subjective kinda like messing w/your sound post. Arco seems louder, slightly less wolf, the A and E strings seem more defined. Pizz maybe a little tighter feel, less loud. I will keep them on my bass for awhile and see what I think as time goes on. For those who like to mess w/their bass thinking they can find that illusive improvement in tone/feel you might want to give this a try. Anyone else tried this?

Attached Files:

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I guess you could try it with Maple, too or other hardwood.

3. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I don't understand the point of doing this - isn't it just another layer between the bridge and the top? What problem is it solving?

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Closer to a solid bridge?

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I think that's the idea. I've seen something like this before. It's clever and simple and worth a try. There ought to be a perceptible difference between this and your bridge sitting on a 1/4" bolt.

powerbass likes this.
  6. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    There is a perceptible difference. I've almost eliminated the Ab on D string wolf tone. Arco is definitely louder, the A string is much more solid. I am going to leave the bass this way till the humid weather necessitates an adjustment.

neilG likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022