1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Bridge with Roller Saddles?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I just got a really nice 5 banger (brand shall remain nameless) and found that the G string is dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard. Actually, all the strings are shifted to the treble side of the neck. If I'm going to all the trouble of remounting a bridge, I might as well hook up with a reasonably priced adjustable saddle (roller-type vs. graphite insert) to allow for future tweaks. I'm leaning towards the Schaller roller-type.

Has anybody had any experience with these or any other brands? Note: I have a Hipshot on my Modulus but they're a bit pricey.

Riis

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Don't roller-style bridge saddles tend to create a problem with intonation? Because the witness point (i.e. point where the string makes contact) isn't as precise as a saddle with an inverted "V" shape?

MM

3. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ..Isn't the roller bridge a"v"??...(more like a "u" , isn't it?)

I had one for a 5-string and liked it...it does allow minor tweaks bass/treble-wise....and was solid and sounded good and allowed for low-action...

but...the spacing was a little tight for me....YMMV

peace

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have one of the roller type Schallers on one of my basses. It's not my favourite bridge. No problem with intonation, but I don't like the weight and you can't get much of a downward angle on the string behind the bridge because of the design. I like a fairly steep angle because it seems to improve the sound some.. If the bass has a bolt on neck you could reset it and solve the problem you have with the strings going off the neck to one side.

If it's a neck through you don't have that option of course. Has your neck warped sideways?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nope, the neck is straight. I think the bridge was slightly misaligned at time of production. I've witnessed this before on, believe it or not, the Pedulla Rapture series. The pocket on this instrument is so tight that a reset is impractical; far easier to reset (or replace!) the bridge.

Thanks

Riis

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I understand. That does happen sometimes. It'd probably be best to move the bridge. It'll only be a slight shift to one side. You'll need to dowel the mounting holes and redrill them but that's a snap.