Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass bridge with whammy bar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHot_FLeA, Jul 17, 2002.

1. RedHot_FLeA

RedHot_FLeA

Jul 17, 2002
    ok im rebuilding one of my basses and have seen bass bridges with a whammy bar before. does anyone know where i can find one?

2. ebay. The only bass tremolo bridges I've seen are the Kahler bridges. They typically run $200.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

4. Ooops, yeah, typo. Fixed now.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Kahlers are actually available with 5 strings, too. I've seen a gold 5 string trem for sale recently over on www.thedudepit.com , but I don't know if it has sold, or not.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  7. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Vic Wooten added a Kahler to his Fodera. The tuning stability of the guitar versions(I owned 5 at one time) was decent. I thing Dave LaRue had a Kahler equipped bass as well.

I'd love to have a Kahler trem bass. Regular maintenance is necessary for good performance. Lube those roller saddles!

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't forget the Steinberger TransTrem...a bit of a rare bird, though.

9. RedHot_FLeA

RedHot_FLeA

Jul 17, 2002
    thanks this stuff should really help =)

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Search for Pork Pie products.

11. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    I hava a Kahler 2400 (4 string,rear rollers,gold finish) just sitting in my desk if you are interested.

John

12. RedHot_FLeA

RedHot_FLeA

Jul 17, 2002
    really! is it the whole system with the springs and stuff. if so how much would you want for it?

13. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Yup,but let me send you a jpg and let you have a look.I must let you know though there is some tarnish on the bridge what seems like under the finish.Everything is complete,but I do not have the template for installation.

John

14. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Aloha,

Hope this is what you are looking for.I reinstalled the tremolo on the bass that I took off of and everything functions just fine. But I must tell you if you are trying to accomplish dive bombs and other more radical effects such as a guitarist can.It can not be done due to the gauge of the strings,even with that instrument set-up as a picolo bass I was unable to simulate such effects.

John

15. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Aloha again,

I actually meant to send this instead.

John

16. RedHot_FLeA

RedHot_FLeA

Jul 17, 2002
    thats cool. you have the whole system right (springs and all) because i think im interested. what kind of stuff can you do with it? how much do you want for it if your selling it?

17. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Aloha,

Yes,everything is intact.E-mail me and we can discuss amount discretly.

John
    jbc@lava.net

18. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I originally posted this a month or so ago in the items wanted area. Hope it helps.

I too have been looking for both 4 and 5 string Kahlers, but am leary of the permanent routing required to install them. Ive also been afraid of the $300 price tags and only being able to get them from ebay. Kahler is back in business making tremolos but NOT the bass one yet. I guess they made more money making golf clubs then tremolos. Ive always preferred the Kahler to the floyd on all my guitars but have only played one bass with a Kahler installed. There were also foward and reverse saddles used on them depending on the space available on the face of the bass body so if you did find one would it be the right one? So contact Kahler and see what they can do. http://www.kahlerinternational.com/

There is also one other company making a split tremolo for bass and that site is http://www.mydoublewhammy.com/doublewhammy.htm

Again id have a problem buying something I couldnt play first.

Good Luck

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Blake and the guys at http://www.mydoublewhammy.com/doublewhammy.htm are great to work with,they understand the situation and are very attentive to your needs in giving you just what your looking for,and their product is not as costly as the Khaler. It would be your best option as Blake has actually taken it to a whole different level.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.