1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Buddy vs. Tone Hammer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RHCP250, Mar 11, 2009.

1. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Which do you guys prefer as a Pre-amp and a DI? They both seem pretty well equipped with features, and both pretty affordable. I know I can use the Hammer with a rig, but what about the buddy?

2. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Nothing eh? I've tried searching these forums and google and didn't find much helpful info.

3. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    did you see the bassbuddy walk-through on youtube? I'd really consider a bass buddy after seeing how useful it is. Depends on what you want it to do I guess, there's a place for the Tone Hammer too, but instead of the tone hammer, I use and am a big fan of the sadowsky outboard pre.

4. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Yeah I've seen the vid, thats why I'm interested in the buddy. Unfortunatley no vids of the hammer. I plan on sing them to DI straight into the PA, so I'm thinking the Buddy would be better for that. But I think the hammer may be better with a rig, mostly cause I'm not sure if the buddy can be used with one.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you are talking about the Phil Jones Bass Buddy, then yes it can definitely be used as a preamp with a poweramp type setup. I have a BB and like it a great deal. Very well made unit. The compressor is very nice as well.

6. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Either will do what you want, but these are pretty different sounding pieces of gear. What sound are you looking for? Are you specifically looking to ditch equipment or go lighter?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What does that mean, "use it with a rig"? A rig is any assembly of bass gear, right, so sure you can use them "with a rig"... is there a particular hookup you were trying to figure out?
    There are boatloads of threads about the Buddy and its uses, and at least two or three good-sized threads talking about the TH in detail. Not sure how you missed them. Maybe if you ask a specific question we can answer it for you.

8. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I mean I know I can use the TH as a stomp box before the signal goes to my amp, and wasnt sure if the buddy could do the same (obviosuly not to stomp on). I guess I'm really looking for how they differ in sound, and if I can use the buddy before the signal goes to my amp.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You could use the BB before your amp, but since it has a very clean tone and doesnt add much colour its not going to effect your tone in a big way. Now if you are it using for the eq and compressor that's a different story.

Again if you are using it in front of a poweramp as a pre it has a very clean tone and will allow you to hear the true tone of your bass.

It also can be used as an amplifier on its own, but gives a max of 10w at 8ohms. About as loud as an acoustic piano... unless you use it with an 810. Then even just 10w is sufficient for a not-crazy-loud band practice. I've expereinced this personally with a traynor 810.

I mainly use mine as a headphone amp. I love the adjustable vol control on the aux input.

10. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I see, thanks for the input about the buddy. How is the the Hammer compared to a sansamp then? I know they are more similar than the buddy, and I've only heard good things aobut both

11. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Which sansamp model are you thinking of? Once again, there is a huge amount of information about the various sansamp models if you will search. If you're thinking about using these in front of an integrated amp you might want to search the effects forum as well.

12. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    does anyone have both units and compared them?

i am on the fence between the buddy and the hammer....
    the pjb stuff sounds amazzzzing with my upright, but meh with
    my electric...(was using the breifcase, so it could have been the speakers)

my rig is an ip112 with a ex122 for bigger gigs.

thanks,
    evan

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have not owned a TH but have listened to the samples on the aggie page. I have owned a BB for a couple of years and have used it as:

- a preamp driving a poweramp
    - an amplifier with a 110 for living room jams
    - an amp with an 810 for a lower volume band practice with drums (the 10w barely does it)
    - a headphone amp.... which is what I use it for the majority of the time.

To my ears on the sound samples the TH sounds much more coloured and I think it would not do well with an upright bass. If I were you I would use the bass buddy as the preamp and add a tech 21 VT Bass. Its another small pedal about the size of the sabddi. It sounds fantastic with electric. They go for about $120 in the TB classifieds. Also keep in mind that the TH is not a small pedal. I would bet that the BB and VT Bass side by side would likely be the same size or a little bigger when compared to the TH.

Using the BB for upright and then clicking on the VT Bass for electric would give you the best of both worlds and lots of eq options.

14. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    cool thanks bro anybody else?