1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Buggy plus shoulder straps?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by oliebrice, Jan 12, 2012.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    Has anyone here tried carrying a bass in a case with shoulder straps, with the buggy attached? Wondering whether the wheels would get in the way, and bash your legs? and also whether the buggy strap interferes with the should straps?

My case has shoulder straps and little wheels, but one of the wheels has snapped off. I really miss the wheels for getting the bass around in train stations, buildings etc but think I'd still rather use the shoulder straps for longer distances

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    that's the whole point of having wheels...you won't miss the shoulder straps once you get used to the wheels. Why carry when you can roll?

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    with the wheels on my bag, I found that sometimes having the weight leaning on one arm with wheels was more tiring than carrying it on 2 good quality shoulder straps. I've got an unusually heavy bass, and a 15 mins walk to the underground station...

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    "Carry on", then. ;)

5. For some reason, I thought about this when I read "shoulder straps":

2921-shoulder-dolly-moving-strap_1_375.

Instead of being attached to another person, imagine the strap being cut in half and attached under the bass via the endpin or a D-ring of some kind on the lower bout.

I get a little nervous using backpack type straps. With this idea, you'd be holding the bass in front of you, but most of the weight would be bourne by your shoulders. Just a thought

6. I'm sorry, still trying to understand why you're trying to do both. My buggie does most of the work around town except for stairs. Then I just use the handles on the bag.

7. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    That picture hurts my back!

I don't really know why, I haven't yet heard horror stories of broken straps but if I'm not wheeling my bass on a buggy I'm "giving it a reach around". I tuck the heel under my arm, put my hand through the strap, and hold the edge of the upper bout, that way it is nice and secure. I've never carried for more than 5 min or so and that's not so handy if I have other stuff to carry.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I never leave the house without the buggy firmly attached to my bass. The shoulder strap is only used for more than a few stairs. Electrical tape around the strap hardware keeps the strap secure.
    I've never used a single wheel on my bass but love the buggy.

9. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    I don't know about the single wheel either. I've never used one but I figure it must act as a fulcrum on the endpeg plug. It also seems that you would support the top by holding the neck or scroll.

With the buggy it puts the force (minor) at the plug similar to the tailgut, and I hold the strap where it goes around the shoulder and wheel it that way so I figure the additional stresses are minimum. That way I know it will be in good shape when I take it out and use it like a pogo stick to make cool stage antics :hyper: :D

(No, not really. I'm trying that new thing called sarcasm. It's gonna go viral if that interweb thingy ever catches on.)