Bass build questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Daytona955i, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I want to build a jazz bass custom with a MM pickup in it.

I think I want one of the SD Basslines pickups in it, but as far as the bridge (bad-ass II?), pre-amp (aguilar OBP-3?), and the woods for the body and neck (ash, maple, mahogany?), I'm lost. I want a Stringray-esque tone, punchy with a killer mid range, but still with defined lows and highs that sparkle, but it doesn't have to match the tone at all, otherwise I'd just pick up a Stingray.

I plan to get the body off of Warmoth with the routing done, but I'm not against gutting a jazz bass and doing it myself.

I have ideas, but I'm not really sure what my options are and I don't want to spend a ton of money on things that don't sound well together, any recommendations?

Also how much paint should I need to do the body and the headstock, and where's a good place (other than reranch) to get paint? I'm looking for metallic green.
  2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'd do ash body, maple neck, aguilar OBP-1 pre, and get the paint from AutoZone. Yes, AutoZone.
  3. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Okay, ash is a good body wood, and my first thought, even though Ernie Ball just says the body wood is made from selected hard wood, I think I've heard many 'Ray owners saying that they had ash bodies.

Autozone eh? Good deal, any idea how much paint I might need?

Also, can anyone explain to me why the Warmoth site says that some necks won't fit Warmoth bodies????

What necks will and where can I find them?

Thanks again
  4. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I used a LOT of paint - something like 10 cans, but that's only because I kept puting it on too thick and got the runs. :scowl: You could probably do a body with 5 cans. The color I used only came in the small cans @ something like $4 a can, but some colors come in a larger can for around the same price. If you've got a spray gun setup, you can any color you can think of, special order, by the pint and gallon.
  5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I second the ash and OBP-1 for a MM vibe. Add a on/on/on switch for tapping the MM p/u for series/single/parallel confirguations and you'll be in the zone.

For a bridge, the BAII will work nicely - just be aware that you'll need to slot those saddles for a 100% proper set-up, but this gives you the ability to use a dial caliper to get your string spacing exactly how you want it.

All the best,

6. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    This is what my franken-bass should look like. [​IMG]

Vol. Treb. Bass pots, and a series/parallel/single switch, side mounted jack, etc.
  7. Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I totally agree with the felow TBers about the ash body and aggie pre for a MMesque character. I would add a nice rosewood fretboard to make it bit warm soundwise. Also, IMHO, if you get a nicely grained ash body you migh consider finishing it in tung oil (I think it looks really nice and I feel the sound could be a bit more "organic")
  8. supafast213

Feb 3, 2004
    Stick em up! This is a threadjack!...955i What year and color is your bike?
  9. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY

Silver, 2000.

I also have a '72 Trident.