1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Build questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WickedPissah, Mar 28, 2009.

1. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Hi, I'm building from parts and I have no idea where to go on 2 fronts.

1. Paint- What type of paint should I buy, and where do I get sparkle finish? Speaking of sparkle finish, is there some other name that it's sold as?

2. Electronics and wiring- I'm going to have the pickups put in professionally. How much will that cost, generally?

2. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    You want epoxy-based spray paint. Pickup wiring can be anywhere from $100 to $250. That's why I wire pickups myself (it isn't diffcult to do).

3. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    The spray paint will give me the sparkle, or that's what i want to use for base color?

Is there any liquid paint I could use? I'm wanting to do a kind of Jackson Pollack-type splatter-painting thing.

4. Some "custom car" paint in heavy metallic may be good to use. Some of these are available in spray cans. If you are a novice painter, I would recommend using automotive acryllic lacquer that is available at most auto parts stores. It is easy to use and mistakes can be repainted whithout problems.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    x2 on what Rocky says, its easy to apply and easy to repair an error. When you say "sparkle", do you mean metallic paint, or metal flake? Flake is the finish with the appearance of a million tiny mirrors on a coloured background. You see it on custom cars and ski boats quite a bit and we've all seen the sparkles on a Gretsch Silverjet. If this is what you want, google "metal flake" and you'll get some good resources on how to go about doing it.

6. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
  7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC