Bass building horror

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm just curious- alla y'all who've built basses before, what is the worst mistake or failure you've ever had when building one (or attempting to)?
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

GASP! "The Horror" I can't give you a "do not " story, But do you have a plan?. Do you know what you want the instrument to look and sound like when done?
    If you have those questions answered, that's most of it.

Just take time to do it right. A bass is high a technology, precision instrument. right?

Or you could try the Bill Wyman way. (Read his Guitar Player interview, from about 1978 "Some Girls era)
  3. I did not put a little piece of tape over the holes for the ground wire to under the bridge. There is a hole drilled between the control cavity and the area that will be under the bridge. I did a great job of finishing the Warmoth P body, but then I sure as heck could not fish the ground wire through. I spent the better part of two days trying all sorts of stiff wires to bust through, but no go. I was ready to drill a new hole, but Home Depot does not sell a long and skinny enough bit. One of my friends suggested that I make my own bit from a piece of wire hanger. That worked good enough to drill a new hole that came right out the back of the body.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh...I thought this was going to be another Wishnevsky thread. :)

brad cook
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    While shaping my second neck, I shaved into the truss rod channel from the back... Truly a bummer as it was my first attempt at a neck through and the body wings were already attached... Firewood!!

Another time, (fifth bass, another neckthrough!), while routing the control cavity, the router bit gradually slipped down in the collet on the final pass and routed through the front of the body... The neck was already finished and ready for fretting. Rather than completely scrapping this bass, I was able to remove the body wing for the lower bout, shape and attach a new one. This bass was successfully completed.

Both were valuable learning experiences!! :)

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

7. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I too came to chuckle at yet another Wishnevsky. I'm so disappointed.
  8. My Horror story isn't too bad. I built a bolt on, but the body wasn't big enough for the neck. So I ended up with a 32" scale bass with a 34" scale neck. That project went back to the drawing board.

In another project, I was making a 2 piece body for a bolt on. My jig saw must have slipped, and I didn't know it, because the two pieces didn't line up. Not even close. So, a nice set of book matched figured Walnut down the drain.

I'm currently working on a neckthrough purpleheart and ovankol. Hopefully that will end up a success story, not a failure.