Bass building questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Hello everybody,

My friend and I are considering building guitars and basses and selling them, but before we attempt it, we want to know as much as possible about what kind of detail goes into it. That being said, I have some questions concerning the production of a bass.

-What makes a bass desirable? (Looks, woods used, electronics, passive, active?)

-What kind of initial investment would be required?

-Where would we find a market for the instruments we produce (Not ebay, please)

-What all could go wrong during the construction of a bass that would affect the overall outcome?

-What experiences have all you had in making your own basses?

Thank you to anyone that responds, your help is greatly appreciated
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A good place to start looking is in Luthier's Corner here on TalkBass. I will tell you that there is a LOT of capital spending involved in making basses from scratch. What you can also do is find a parts dealer like warmoth, and put them together, customize them, and finish them. We have a resident lutheir by the username of Nino-Brown that does some amazing work with warmoth parts. He takes the pieces of the bass puzzle, and creates a work of art by adding his own flair. He might be one to cinsult, because he was in your position before, I am sure.