Bass Building Questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dæmos, Oct 7, 2002.

1. dæmos

Sep 22, 2002
    I am thinking about building a bass, this would be my first time attempting something of this nature, and I was hoping you guys could give me some info on the subject.

This is what I would like to build:

SG Style Bass Body (Mahogany)
    SG Style Bass Neck (Maple/Ebony Fretless)
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners (Black)
    Leo Quan BadAss II Bridge (Black)
    Seymour Duncan Basslines MM Pickup (Bridge)
    Black knobs, etc.

I still have no idea which tuners, jack, bridge, etc. would work for this project. I am good at electronics, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if the MM Pickup is active or not.

I'm probably leaving some things out but I can't remember right now.

On Warmoth' site, I've found:

SG Body

LP Neck

Are there any other places I could get SG style things? What needs to be done in order for it to sound good after the building is finished? Etc.

Basically, I want it to look something like the ESP Viper-304. Something like this in black would be perfect. Although I might be better off just buying it if the cost is really high on this project.

I know this is rather long, but I would like some help on this, thanks in advance.

- Nick
  2. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    hey hows it going?

im pretty much in the same boat as you. i am looking to build my own bass for the first time as well. except i am looking to use a j-bass body and have a MM bridge and either a J or P pickup at the neck. the only difference is that i have no experience with electronics so your still better off than me but ill be happy to forward any info that i can get to you and hope that youll do the same. thanx a lot. good luck

3. dæmos

Sep 22, 2002
    ok, e-mail me if you find anything, and I'll do the same for you.
  4. your off to a great start with that body style. Mahogny will be heavier and warmer sounding then the swamp ash.

Talk to Brian at Warmoth he helped me design a custom gecko.

Most Duncan MM pickups are passive but are normally used with a preamp,

Best suggestion I would offer is to buy everything from as few vendors as possible, preferable 1 if possible, it will help to insure that everything should go together well.

Another tip, if your going to have the body painted, talk to an autobody shop. Lots of times they can use the extra paint from a car project and charge you very little for the work if you can let them have the body for a while. But do your own prep and sanding, maybe even primer, the smoother you start the smoother you will finish.

After all that work is done all it should need is a good set up. Usually 50 bucks at most music stores or search the threads there is a ton of set up stuff on here
  5. dæmos

Sep 22, 2002
    Thanks, what is the difference between mahogany and swamp ash?

Also, I still don't really understand the whole pickup thing. What exactly will I need? Pickup/knobs/jack/etc.
  6. at minium you will need a pick up, a volume knob, an input jack, and usually a tone knob as well.

Each type of wood has its own sound charasticts and weight. Swamp ash is among the lightest of them all. Mahoghny is one of the heaviest, some where around here is a "glossary" of woods and their properties.