Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Building

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I have been playing bass for two years now (not a lot of time but we all have to start somewhere). After about six months of playing I decided that I wanted to build my own bass. I have been questing after info. on how to do it, what woods do what (as far as tones etc.), what tools I would need, where I can get the wood, glue, hardware, pick-ups etc.
    I was informed by Mr. Jimmy Coppolo from www.guitarboutique.com that the best way to get this info is to work with a builder. This is sound advice. One problem, there isn't a builder anywhere near me. I asked about books and other possible sources of information. He said that few exist, and those that do are of poor quality.
    Along with being a fledgling bass player, I am also a writer. I am asking all of the fine folks here at talkbass.com, is there a market for a book that goes step by step through the production of building an electric bass?

2. There are a lot of great resources for builders out there, despite what you were told. First off, go to www.mimf.com , then buy the book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. You can buy the book online through there site in the book store area. He builds a neck-thru bass and a set neck and bolt on guitar in the book.

Good luck, building your own intstruments is one of the post rewarding things, that I have done anyways. It is a great feeling to fire it up with an instrument you designed and built.

Geoff