1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Building

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I have been playing bass for two years now (not a lot of time but we all have to start somewhere). After about six months of playing I decided that I wanted to build my own bass. I have been questing after info. on how to do it, what woods do what (as far as tones etc.), what tools I would need, where I can get the wood, glue, hardware, pick-ups etc.
    I was informed by Mr. Jimmy Coppolo from www.guitarboutique.com that the best way to get this info is to work with a builder. This is sound advice. One problem, there isn't a builder anywhere near me. I asked about books and other possible sources of information. He said that few exist, and those that do are of poor quality.
    Along with being a fledgling bass player, I am also a writer. I am asking all of the fine folks here at talkbass.com, is there a market for a book that goes step by step through the production of building an electric bass?

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

There are a lot of great resources for builders out there, despite what you were told. First off, go to www.mimf.com , then buy the book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. You can buy the book online through there site in the book store area. He builds a neck-thru bass and a set neck and bolt on guitar in the book.

Good luck, building your own intstruments is one of the post rewarding things, that I have done anyways. It is a great feeling to fire it up with an instrument you designed and built.

Geoff