Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Bass Bus" Battery Powered Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joemamma, Aug 8, 2004.

1. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Has anyone here bought a Crate "Bass Bus" ? If so, how is it working for you? I've only heard one played, but never tried one out. Being a battery powered amp it seems great for playing where there's no power.

Thanks, Joe

2. You may find this thread helpful in comparing the battery powered options.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The crate stuff sounds ok, but they have a VERY
    high failure rate. Everyone i know has had problems
    with them. I've been told that the regular version
    sounds better than the bass version, but i haven't
    been able to a/b them. Seems like a great idea thats
    just poorly built. Good luck.

4. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Unfortunatly I've been all over this forum ,but havn't found anyone who owns one. The one I heard was 2 years old and the owner loved it. She said it was way better than the Pig Nose "Hog 30" and has never given her any trouble. She played Bluegrass and I could hear her very well against the acoustic players she was with. Was wondering if there was a recent buyer here that could give their opinon on the amp and if the quality was still as good.

5. Hey JM, sorry I didn't realize you had joined in on that earlier thread. The only thing I can tell is that Crate has now gone back to the plastic for construction. Since this is essentially the 3rd revision of this amp, hopefully they got it right this time. Music 123 has it in stock, with 45 day return.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    JOE, JOE, JOE.... Love the Firesign quote.

7. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Atlanta, Thanks for the info. I may get one and write the review. Seems they're not available till the end of this month. Hope it's not because of quality issues.

8. I've often said that my best quality as a bassist is that I'm not insane. ;)

Looking forward to it. I've learned to live with the lack of power in my Hog 30, but would love just a little more ummmph.

9. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey all,
    I bought the Crate "Bass Buss" a few months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. My other amp is a Peavey microbass and the Crate does a much better job (sorry that's not much of a comparison). I get together with Acoustic instruments and I always have to keep the volume down. As of yet, I have never run the battery down during the usual 5-6 hours of playing. The battery doesn't form a memory so it can be charged anytime or can run off the pluged in charger. This amp is 50 watts w/10" speaker and is the best battery amp I've played through(Pignose Hog 30 didnt have much punch). I bought mine at Guitar Center for $365 total price because I told them I could get it on line with no tax and free shipping. It weighs about 30lbs which is light but I welded a little cart which makes it easy to wheel around.

Joe