Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Buyers Syndrome

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bizzaro, Sep 4, 2000.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Nobody warned me about the disease. I can't stop!!!! I want them all. Anyone want a good deal on a modest home in the Green Hills of Vermont, I NEED TO BUY ANOTHER BASS. Somebody stop me!!! Do we have Bass Buyers Anonymous yet??? My name is Gerry, and I'm a Bassiholic.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't have a problem...I can quit any time;)

3. good good the hardest part of a problem is saying that you have a problem. i think it is because bass players have so many options. guitar players have three strat, les paul, or the metal relm i.e. b.c. rich. but us we have so many options. fender jazz and pres. ric, frettless, and so on.
    if you are paying you bills and happy screw it.
    but then again i have a stingray, a peddulla buzz, a thunderbird, a ric, a musicvox 12, a guild hollow. . . darn maybe i need help too

4. Having bought 5 since last December, selling off 2, I'm only able to get another by building my own and spreading out the lower cost over several months. Then there's the fact that I'll be buying another house in the next 2 months so I'll be moving the shop...I'll probably finish it around Christmas. I can sympathize with the plight.

Sorry "She who must be obeyed" is calling...

5. Oh yes, it is real, others (read: my wife) don't understand this disease we have, otherwise known as G.A.S. or gotta-have-it-osis. I went through a debilitating bout of it for about 5 years, bought some 20 basses, sold most of them at a loss, thought I was "having fun." Now, I find it painful to even try stuff out.. why torture myself? I did jump on that Carl Thompson I found last week but these opportunities are rare. My "illness" is in remission now, but it's always lurking below the surface. You can count on the fact that every year, besides the tons of cool basses already out there, 4 or 5 new ones will make their debut and you'll have a relapse!

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I am an addict too. But as long as your priorities are in order I see no harm in this disese we share. I am lucky to have a girlfriend who is somewhat understanding in these matters as she thinks i am worse than a woman when i go gear shopping.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I Don't know if it's a disease but thank god I have a understanding wife. I & she figures as long as I dont take away from living expenses fine, In other words I work 50 hrs a week to survive in this world at a real job but we both agree that if I sell a bass to buy another thats cool, 10 different basses have passed through my hands in the last two years but I always have the 3 now 4 with the RIC that I never give up , Also I get to keep what little money I make gigging on the weekends to put back into my gear. I love having a new bass to play every now and then even if I decide its not a keeper! hell I have two basses for sale right now when I sell them make room for my new MusicMan.
    So yes it is a disease and I am a gear junky what can I say:D