1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass buying article: I call BS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. A local store has a web page for buying a bass for your kid. Here's the link: TIPS FOR PARENTS WHO ARE CHOOSING AN ELECTRIC BASS FOR A CHILD OR TEEN: - Spaceman Music

The article is pretty good overall but the bolded part gets me:

Consider a used instrument. Particularly when buying a birthday or Christmas gift, some parents feel that a present has to be brand new. However, with musical instruments, the stigma that some people associate with buying used goods does not apply. When professional bassists go shopping for instruments, they will often try out used vintage instruments, because they know that older instruments tend to have better tone and better workmanship.

I totally agree with buying used but it's wrong to say that old tends to be better. I hope well-meaning parents aren't mislead by this blanket statement.

2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The most obvious omission, to me, was it didn't mention that a cheap bass, poorly set up would be physically difficult to play and might discourage a child.
    I do agree the "buy used" was nonsense.

3. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    If a used instrument plays nicely, I'm apt to believe that the "worst" of the instrument is behind it, if any. A used bass is settled in, defects would have likely been revealed already and usually set up well if the guy before you wasn't a momo.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I'm more surprised they mention to buy your kid a bass period.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    This is something we would have said in the early 80s....back then it was a debatable fallacy; in 2017 its just a fallacy (non debatable)

6. That's just a really misleading statement. I've been given some "older instruments" in recent years that don't deserve the term "firewood".

ROGI likes this.
  7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I doubt a lot of people are buying their beginning children vintage instruments. ;)

The way some people get so upset about vintage instruments, it makes me think that they were bullied by a vintage instrument when they were kids. :D

8. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    My nephew asked for a bass a few years ago, which is what started the whole ball rolling for me again after a very long hiatus. I knew the odd were high that he'd take to it, but buying a new instrument for a kid has a very high likelihood that it sits in the closet, under the bed or gets sold 2 years later for peanuts. A used instrument is generally going to be valued the same way again if/when you decide to sell it, or at least be a whole lot closer to that eventual price than a new one would. That's the biggest reason I would advise parents to consider used as well - sometimes they're barely touched.

Quote today, from an email I received a little earlier:
    We would never want to tell that to parents, or they'd probably never get the kid an instrument in the first place - we want those 1-in-10 kids to keep becoming musicians - but there is you answer as to why most music stores sell 10 Squiers for every Fender.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. +1. I once rented a Squier P bass for my son. It was unplayable. But after 20 - 30 minutes of adjustments it was ready to rock. Sounded good too.

Gravedigger Dav and EdO. like this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't have a problem with anything the article says. They are just trying to steer away from the cheap junk basses and recommend a used name brand instead. Their logic is no different than what many folks at TB use. The point about vintage basses and pros wasn't a purchase recommendation. It was just anecdotal to help remove the stigma of buying something that is used.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you know what you are doing, you save save some serious coin buying used. But if you don't know what you are doing, it's like buying a used car from a stranger...

12. If that's the case, then it was poorly worded and could be misinterpreted by the reader.

13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think 99.9% of parents who buy basses for their kids based solely on this article will end up with a used Squier or Fender. The .1% who end up with a mint condition '68 Jazz for their 13 year old have bigger issues than reading comprehension.

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    and that's the problem with most parents buying their kids instruments.

wmmj likes this.
  15. And when I read about someone putting a counterfeit decal on their instrument, these are the people I think about.

16. It's an over-generalization for sure, but not an outright fabrication. There is a tendency for experienced pros to seek out a certain vintage from the sources that carry them routinely and in abundance.

But why this is a talking point in an article about adolescent beginners is a head-scratcher.

17. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Unless said kid wants to play bass.

OOD likes this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I, for one, BV, took it to heart, and will be buying my kids blankets for MLK Jr Day...

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    In the context of the rest of the buying guide, it doesn't seem out of line. The next point they make is that you can get a bigger bang for your buck buying used. Then they tell about their return policy, so an uniformed parent can feel better about buying a used instrument from them v. some random schmuck on Craigslist.

gfen and PsyDocHill like this.
  20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Aside from being flat out wrong, it's mainly stupid because a parent is not looking to drop thousands of dollars on a first instrument, regardless of new or used condition; good luck finding a "vintage" instrument at a brick and mortar store that's not at least four figures :roflmao: