Bass buying dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Hey guys

I can either buy an Ibanez BTB300 now, which I like the tone/looks/feel of right now, or buy a decent USA Jazz/MMStingray range bass in about 12 months time.

I currently have a "Magnum" P-Bass Copy, with a lot of buzz, ugly finish, Both tone knobs fell off and I don't like the tone.

One problem, I don't have a lot of time, as the BTB300 is being discontinued here in a little while (ie a month or two), I think I should make up my mind soon.

So, what are your experiences? Impulse buy the Ford, or save for the Mercedes while driving an old Datsun?
  2. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Buy a used MIM Jazz and then buy your chosen instrument in 12 months. An Ibanez will be quite different from the USA Jazz or MMStingray you are looking towards. You never know, if you pick up the right MIM Jazz you might not need another. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  3. But I don't like the Fender tone that 90% of mainstream bassists use.

Oh well. I only said USA jazz as a price range guideline.
  4. So, anythoughts, save up or buy?
  5. well i think buy if you need something better for gigging... if you just want to buy the ibanez for yourself save. If you are in a band then upgrading from a "datsun" to a ford would be the best bet. If you have no real use just save up and stick it out. I dont know your situation though.
  6. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    depends on your need, you haven't explained that yet.
    If you can wait, I'd say wait and save up some more dough.
    If you're gigging with a band and hate your tone, you need something now.
  7. You could always spend 100.oo and get an SX J or P type bass then have a decent bass for now and then save for whatever you want. :meh:
  8. NONONO. I live in Australia - no good SX basses, no decent Used market. I don't think I could justify spending $2400AU on a bass, so I think I will go with the BTB simply because it sounds good and I like the feel, so it does all I want it to. I haven't actually tried a BTB400 - I will soon.

Thanks again for your help.

BTW - my current situation: Bassist in early band stages, probably gigging in the year, hate my tone, do a lot of solo practice.