1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass cab AND small PA powered by same power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, May 4, 2006.

1. With a standard power amp (stereo outs), is it possible to send a bass preamp to the amp then to a bass cabinet, and at the same time run a mixer (with vocals, etc.) to the same power amp and then the PA speakers as well?

Bass preamp -->\|||||||||||/---> Bass Cabinet
    .......................POWER AMP
    Mixer --------->/|||||||||||\---> PA Cabinet(s)

I'm not in a position to try this at the moment, its more of just an "is it even possible?" type of question! Thanks

2. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yup, as long as the amp is in Stereo mode (not parallel or bridge) you're good to go. Each channel really doesn't care what the other does.
    p

3. I do this exact same thing with my rig.

Bass Preamp --> Channel 1 --> Bass Cabs
    Mic & EQ ---> Channel 2 ---> PA Cab

Also - it doesn't matter if the impedance changes for each channel - treat the channel's as separate amps.
    Too easy!

4. Thanks guys. With this set up could you power both ONE bass cab (from one output) and TWO PA cabs from the other output??? ...I'm pretty clueless about PA's and such

5. Um.. probably. Depends on the amp, and the impedance, of the cabs. If you have a decent amp, and 8 ohm cabs it should be no problem. What kind of amp, and cabs do you have?