1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Cab for Sovtek Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpdischi, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Fender

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. SWR

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Eden

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ashdown?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ampeg

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  6. Carvin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Acoustic

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Hartke

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. TC Electronic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi everybody!

I've recently purchased a classic tube bass amp (apparently a Fender Bassman clone..?), it's the Sovtek Bassov Blues Midget. Some Pics below:

- Front:
    - Back:

Just curious, what would you suggest to pair with this thing? I play an assortment of genres of music, progressive rock/metal, jazz, etc. I also have an Axe FX II that I can use for other applications for bass too, but want to pair this best with my Spector (5 string, EMGs) and the bassov. Preferably a 1x15?

Thanks!

2. Doesn't much matter. A couple of 210 stacked up vertically will get good clean volume out of the 50w.

Sartori, Aqualung60 and spaz21387 like this.
  3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Mesa subway series.

Sartori, Aqualung60 and jpdischi like this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    depending on the volume/spl you need id start with a 2x15 either in one package or 2 seperate. use matching drivers
    all can be found used for decent price. having used 50, 60 or 100 watt tube heads in a band situation ive found sealed cabs more friendly to tube heads and a svt 810 used works great. which is a very generic recycled answer i guess but they can be had for cheap like 400 bucks. likewise a pair of used SVT 15E single 15 inch cabs which are ported. but ideal but more expensive i guess would be using a pair of sealed portaflex cabinets PF115HE

likewise their is a whole range of vintage cabinets that would work which carry the classic most loved 15" drivers that are hopelessly repeated here for obvious reasons mainly any sunn, fender, and even some carvin cabs loaded with JBL K-140

or easier to find mesa boogie cabs loaded with the EV15B

or likewise any vintage cab can be reloaded with a similar driver to those ampeg cabs, which is the cast frame eminence legend cb158 or the stamp steel version which is similar to the, now out of production Gamma 15A

Likewise for high sensitivity with low watts a 4x12 works great the difficult but hard to find worthwhile 4x12 is the SWR workingman 4x12 which is ported or the hard to find sealed Ampeg 412HE both used a special design 38 ounce Eminence Driver not avaible to public. but recently eminence released a new beta12 called the Beta12A2 which is a more heavy duty speaker for bass use and increased the xmax from 2.8mm to 4.4mm which is basically all the SWR and Ampeg special design 12inch speakers did in a more affordable basic 38 ounce magnet that most factory 10" and 15" stamped steel speakers use.

Its easier to find a used 70s ampeg V4B sealed cabinet or a used Acoustic 404 (6x12)
    and load them with Beta12a2 and basically throw away any sealed 10" cabinet you can find in the garbage. a 8x12 rig or 612 rig will simple crush a 810E to a cat box boat anchor. but for the most part ive used 810E for over 20 plus years now and simple wont waste any time with any 410 they are meaningless unless you have 8 especially with low watt heads.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    jpdischi likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your budget and how's your transportation setup(what kinda cabs can you fit into your ride)?

IME, you gotta move a lot of air(more speakers) with more efficient cabs to optimize each of those 50 watts.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    Dang! A lot of replies already. I'll try making a few blanket statements:
    1. I'm primarily a guitarist, not touring or anything just want good sound for bass tracks I record
    2. I live in an apartment, and a small one at that, so an 8x10 is simply not doable.
    3. I don't have a huge budget because I spent a bit on the head already and have to sell some stuff to make up the cost. But I would imagine somewhere between 150-300.
    4. I always thought that 1x15 would be best for weight, sound, low-end, etc. It's going to be stationary unless I somehow start playing bass full time (????).

7. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    Oh also, I am in the NYC area and I've been perusing Craigslist, there's a few things that I've seen:
    A fender bassman 1x15
    An Eden D115T
    Ashdown 1x15
    Ampeg 1x15
    And additionally: Carvin B115-JBL - loaded with JBL E140-8

I also do own a Traynor 1x15 bass cabinet that was a combo at one point but the amp died :(. But that's not physically here with me, it's 200 mi away at my friend's house.

8. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    I love Mesa stuff for guitar. I see that there is the Subway 1x15, is it good? It has this speaker in it:
    Subway Neodymium Speaker (?)

9. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply! So volume shouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm going to be doing this in an apartment for recording purposes, and if I'm doing shows, they'll need to provide a cab and I'll just use the head and they can use the line-out/mic.

Due to space constrictions I couldn't do a 4x12. I could always purchase a cheap housing for 1x15 and buy the speaker and insert it myself, but I'm not the most experienced in working on cabs. I just put a general reply, do you think that a Carvin B115-JBL - loaded with JBL E140-8 would be good? I could meet up with the guy and purchase it.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If its down to your local cl, get the ampeg, eden, or carvin. I have an ampeg svt-15e, really great tone for not a lot of cash: very rich with good sensitivity which is key for a low wattage tube amp. The jbl in the carvin is also known for its sensitivity. The eden will probably be the most transparent of the bunch. All three if in good condition will sound good, its just a matter of personal preference.

jpdischi likes this.
  11. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    Very cool! I also see you're in Brooklyn! The Carvin is in NJ. I will have to make a trip out there to purchase that one. I'm not familiar enough with these enough to have a preference tbh. Wouldn't we want transparency though? Are you saying clarity in that?

12. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Like i said it's really down to preference. I like the ampeg paired with my low wattage sunn sorado because the rich, vintage voicing offsets the sunn's inherent brightness. That dude has been listing that carvin for at least a couple of years (i check cl very regularly, i may have a problem). The jbl is tempting and nearly worth what the dude is selling the entire cab for. Those speakers were constructed with lower wattage tube amps in mind and with the aluminum dust cap intended to be fullrange with plenty of top end. I like the eden 1x15 though i havent spent much time with that cab. Really youre just gonna have to try what you can, as much of it as you can. Bass gear is a bit more particular than guitar gear, given all the engineering tradeoffs to make low freqs work.

jpdischi likes this.
  13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Subway series is outstanding. Nothing but good things to say about them.

jpdischi likes this.
  14. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    Thanks man. maybe i'll make the trip out and buy it for the carvin. I'd rather get something that's tried and true, I definitely want a more vintage sound I think. I can always use my Axe FX for a more modern sound.

15. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    I'll check it out and see if I can get any nearby. Any idea on the going market rate for a used one?

16. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Man, I want one of those heads so bad! Congrats on the purchase!

jpdischi likes this.
  17. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    It is a super cool head. I'm always surprised when I see something like it. I've considered buying Sunn in the past, but it's out of my price range. I'm selling a GK head to make up the cost.

18. Sell it and buy a real bass amp! :D

19. jpdischi

jpdischi

Sep 16, 2015
    lol what makes you say that

20. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Dont feed the trolls