1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cab help...GK or Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WalBassplayer, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hi All,
    I am in a really ****ty situation right now that I am not too happy about. I play a couple of Wal basses into a Gk2001 RB amp. I had bought an Ampeg SVT610 HLF a few months back. Ampeg "claims" this cab can handle 1200 watts at 4 ohms. My GK is rated at 1080 watts at 4 ohms. Yet after only a couple practice sessions of me turning the volume up loud enough to match my guitarist....3 of the speakers are blown! ***, Ampeg is a bunch of ****ing liars. There is no way this cab can handle the booming lows out of the 2001RB. Meanwhile I am fighting with Ampeg to send me a new cab (so I can sell it).
    I have decided to go the 4x12 route because I have heard nothing but good stuff. 12's are the happy medium. They take low end boom way better than a 10, yet are still punchy. Better for distortion, etc. Soo....

I have been looking at the Aguilar GS412 and the GK Neo 412. Ant thoughts? Both have great reviews on harmony central. With the GK I can bi-amp the tweeters and woofers with the special speakon, so I guess that can be an advantage. Also I trust GK would have tested their 2001 rb through their own cabs. I am hesitant to put this into any other cab for fear of the same result I had with Ampeg. Obviously a boogie 4x12 would be awesome but I do not want to drop $1700.

Help?? :meh:

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The Ampeg 610 speakers blew most likely because you had way too much low end in the 40hz-60hz category. The 610hlf has decent low end, but was not made for heavy lows.
    If you like the GK sound, the cabs will complement the GK head just right. You will be able to give the GK cab a clear 30hz-5khz signal in the 12's and a clear tweeter sound 5khz-15kz. This is the essence of GK tone. Definitely try out the speakers before you buy wherever you can.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    4x12... sounds fun. I'd go with the GK neo. Only because a friend of mine had some of his Aguilar cabs blow.

For around that price you could look into Schroeder cabs too.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1 to the GK Neo 412. I thought the Aguilar cabs I tried were too "hi-fi", too noisy on the tweeters, or too "trebly".

I love my Neo 212 and Neo 115!

5. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I have a Aug 412. I also have a GK 115 & 210 rbh. Never played threough the Neo 12'. The Aug 412 is a great cab, it hard to find a better cab. I'd listen to both if you can.

6. Wait. Are you sure you don't have your brand names reversed?:D

12's are the ****. I've heard that Aguilar and from 25 feet with an amp of similar watts, it made my full beer mug vibrate nearly off the table.:bassist:
    C7

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm sure. The GK Neo 12's sound smoother to my ears, while still being punchy. As for tweeter noise... you can figure why I love the ability to bi-amp the tweeter and woofers with my GK amp. I just dial my tweeter down to taste, in easier and more flexible ways than I found with Aguilar.

Aguilar has a nice style... but GK works better for me, though :D

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I forgot to mention that you made a horrible mistake with your 610HLF...

It's rated 600 Watts @ 4 Ohms, RMS. 1200 is probably peak... which means one thing: I'm surprised you didn't toast it at a lower volume. Ampeg cabs aren't necessarily designed to handle solid-state wattage spikes well - they're engineered with tube behavior in mind.

The 2001RB is too good for an Ampeg fridge anyway :D :bag:

9. Cool. You're just the first person I've ever seen describe an Aguilar cab as "trebly and hi-fi", and a GK cab as "smooth and punchy" in the same thread.:D :p
    C7

10. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The Aguilar GS412 is one of my favorite rock cabs. I can't stand GK cabs.

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    here's one from left field: markbass 610. give it a try. if its anything like their 104hf, its going to knock your socks off!:)

12. Wow...I was hoping for a combination of a Gallien-Krueger 2001RB head and an Ampeg 6x10 cabinet, but after hearing that the combo can result in the cab blowing up, now I'm not so sure.

I'm still interested in a combo of GK and Ampeg, but can anyone recommend a different head or cabinet?

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Alotugh I've never been fond of Ampeg stuff I'm really surprised that you blew up 3 speakers. I think you were boosting lows to much or something. Ampeg cabs are more mid-oriented and have IMO no good bass response. I think the 412 choice would be a good one.

You should definately check out both cabs if you can. I agree that the Aguilar description as "trebly and hi-fi" and GK as "smooth and punchy" is the toal opposite in my experience.

Aguliar cabs are very old-school toned, thick and punchy while still being clear. GKs IMO are more agressive and trebly.

Maybe I'm crazy...:p

14. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    Maybe you are, but not in this case.

15. +10000 to the GK neo 412

16. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

I use a GK 1001RB biamp head with a 410RBH cab - nothing better IMHO for a punchy responsive sound.

I've had show down's with the best. I particulary enjoyed blowing a Mark Bass LMK completely out of the ball park (500W RMS @ 4 ohm - I don't think so!!!!). I was afraid of smoking a 410 Mark Bass cab with my 1001RB turned up only 1/4 of the way! The LMK was at max!!!

If you want a vintage tube sound though, get an old Ampeg SVT head or the newer SVT-VR head. Keep it simple and stick to the tried and true! Aguilar DB750 is my next choice if I wanted a hybrid with a near vintage sound. Don't buy an Ampeg that is made in China or any Ampeg with all that extra tube protection citrcuitry built in.... nothing but trouble and a sacrifice of sound! IMHO (of course). It is generally best to match the solid state / tube amp with the cab designed for the head. There are exceptions of course if you want to risk experimenting. GK RBH cabs are up there with the best boutique cabs and when used with a GK RB head in biamp mode are unbelievable!!!! What a pleasure to be able to dial in your horn's volume right from the front of your head.

17. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :p LOL

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I doubt that many people have used both in a live context, so its going to be tough to get informed feedback.

I'll say I've tried LOTS of gear (even some boutique stuff) and am currently loving my GS412 better than anything else I've ever used. With a mesa m-pulse 600 I'm getting a great balanced tone, coming through in all the right places. I play funk, rock, pop, raggae, and it is great for everything.

19. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Nah, it just depends on the cab. GK's RBH cabs would definitely be more "hi-fi" than both. I think the construction, 12" speaker size, and ports have a lot do do with how GK's Neo cabinets are surprisingly warm.

GK still has some pretty harsh horns, though. I never use them.

BTW... this thread's been dead since October, and Walbassplayer has been using a GK Neo 412 since then. Just thought I'd point that out :p

20. I'm Australian, and I don't know of any stores that stock affordable Ampeg or GK amps. However, Billy Hyde stocks Warwick and Ashdown amps at affordable prices. I think I might use Ashdown...