bass cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stupid4252, Sep 5, 2004.

1. stupid4252

Apr 13, 2004
    im looking to build a 2x10 cabnit to go ontop of a 15" cab, i would be using a ampeg B2R head, any suggestion on speakers for the 2x10?
  2. Emminence 100w speakers, just make sure the combined load of new cab is 8 ohms, that is either 2 off 16 ohms in parallel or 2 x 4 ohms in series.

Ampeg use Emminence speakers, you could put in 200w or even 300w but 100w each would be fine giving 200w cab handling which with the 15" should be fine.

Make sure the cab is big enough ( about the same as your 15" cab ) and front port it.
  3. Is there any adavantage of series or paralell wiring for speakers??

does either one affect the sound or the loudness???
  4. stupid4252

Apr 13, 2004
    from what ive read i dont think it does
  5. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Series raises your ohms, 4+4=8. Amp runs on less watts. Parallel lowers them, 4+4=2. Amp puts out more watts.
    Speaker efficiency makes the most difference however. higher db rating=louder.
  6. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    check into avatar speakers. you may find that you can get a 210 already assembled for just a little more than what the components will cost you. but if you do decide to build then i've heard that they have the best prices on emminence speakers around. as far as impedance. figure out the load that you need and buy your speakers accordingly. wire them however you need to get the desired load. parallel or series will make no difference in the sound.
    also when building a cab do the math, it's very important. otherwise you won't get a cab that sounds as good as it shack has a good book on the subject for something like $10. and use good materials to build it. price out all the components first(don't forget crossovers, corners and something to cover the cab) then compare that figure to a new cab and see if the difference is worth your sweat. i'm a carpenter by trade with a shop and tools, and most of the time it's not for me. good luck!!!