1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Cab Refurbish - Adding New Hardware

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ponyack, May 9, 2018.

1. Ponyack

Ponyack

May 3, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi,

I bought an older bass cab (1994 ?) that must have been sitting in a damp basement because when I opened it, it was covered in white mold - needless to say I have completely cleaned it and retained the interior.

Now I might already know the answer to this but - when I secure the back panel, any thought on using a slightly larger wood screw -

Thanks,

John

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Only if the screw holes are stripped.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Try stuffing the screw holes with tooth pics. For most cab screws, it's like adding new wood and will tighten like new. I do this all of the time and it works well 99% of the time.

ELG60 likes this.
  4. Ponyack

Ponyack

May 3, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Excellent idea. Thanks!

5. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Yup, been doing that for decades. If it's a permanent installation, I'll add wood glue as well.

6. I had a similar situation with a couple of cabs sitting in my buddy's basement for a number of years. The rat fur was white with mold.
    After stripping off the rat fir, I put the empty cab on my driveway, in the sun for a couple of days. That really dried out the cabs and killed off any residual mold. Simply painted the cabs in black and they have been fine now, for 5 years.
    Fishheadjoe