Bass cab wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by callmebono, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I've been using combos for years and finally got an amp/cab setup (Ampeg V4B through an 8 ohm Eden 210XLT and 8ohm Ampeg SVT15).

I'm using standard 1/4" speaker cab wiring, and each cab has two 1/4" inputs/outputs in the back. I understand the difference in series and parallel wiring, but not sure which effect I achieve in my setup.

If I plug cab #1 into cab #2 and then plug cab #2 into the amp, is the amp seeing the two cabs in parallel for a total of 4 ohms? Is that the same as plugging cab #1 and cab #2 into the amp seperately?
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In every loudspeaker cabinet I've ever been aware of, the two jacks are wired in parallel.
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Yes. Going to one cabinet from the amp and from that cabinet to another with a standard cord will make parallel. Same as plugging both cabs into the amp with a separate cord. 8 ohm + 8 ohm = 4 ohms. To wire the cabs in series you need to make or buy a cable that goes like this. From the + on the amp output to the + (tip) on the jack for speaker number one. Then from the - (sleeve) of this jack to the + (tip) of the jack for speaker number two. Then from the - (sleeve) of jack number two back to the - terminal of the amp output. ;)
  4. Thanks for the quick replies folks! Thats just as I thought.