Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JordanUK, Nov 16, 2002.

1. JordanUK

Nov 16, 2002
    Wensleydale U.K.
    Hi, a few months ago I built my "ultimate" bass cab for myself. Since then at gigs etc people who see and hear it say I should start selling them. I would appreciate it if anyone has the time to take a look at and let me know their comments/criticisms. For it to be worth my time I would have to sell them for around GBPounds 850.
    Thanks in advance for any comments.
  2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    That little box is too small for me...Do you make a slightly larger and heavier version? Maybe a 2x18 + 4x10?

Seriously, looks good, but that also is huge and looks heavy. A lot of folks are going for more compact and lightweight designs these days.
  3. JordanUK

Nov 16, 2002
    Wensleydale U.K.
    Thanks for looking.
    I must admit my back has been complaining when I take it to gigs.
  4. Sell them?Yes...That design?Not exactly...People ARE going for smaller designs...2 2x10s/12's 2 1x12's 4x10's(EDIT:::SOME) people aren't gonna want to carry around a sack in one box...If you split it up and sold them like that...people would bite....Hell, I'd bite if you were selling...Oh, 2x10s and 2x12s:D

My 2­­¢

OOOOHHHH that was a big hint:D
  5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'd like to hear that cab! Looks great, but like the others said make 2x10's and 1x15's or 4x10s that compliment each other.
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    SPAM bam thank you ma'am!!!

and yes it's too big...
  7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Cool cab, I thought my 2x15 was big but that's a beast! Have you thought about doing a 2x15 with the 2x10 separate? That'd be a tad easier to move about...

Also, what are the 15s? Are they the Q15-2550s?

All in all, top notch cab, too big for most these days though :)

Edit-Where did you get the grill?
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Wow. Is a bus included for transport?
  9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    That's nothing. The cable for my 4x18 has its own roadie.
  10. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    it looks really cool, post some mp3, we want to know how it sounds....

It's true that smaller cabs should be more catchy..

Could you do a 1x18 + 2x12 ?
  11. endu

Jul 24, 2002
    on a mp3 you wouln't hear if it sounds good.. ;) i can take a mic and play over a 5" 2watt speaker and it could sound well.. ;)

jordan, which woofers are in your box?
  12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    That's interesting, but it doesn't sound like it can take a lot of power...
  13. Most guys I know need a cab that one per can move around so I don't think you will have a lot of buyers for a cab of that size and weight. As others have stated, if you could make it with 1x15 and 2x10's and the horn and keep the weight under 100 lbs, I think you might have a better chance of selling it. My cab has 1x15 1x10 and a horn so I think this cab is a bigger version of the SWR Triad. From the look of it I think you have the 10's in a seperate chamber. Are you rolling the lower frequencies out of the 10's with a cap?
  14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    and how would you ship it? what would you transport it in? you would need a van for it by itself!
  15. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    The cabs look beautifully made. You don't though give the resistance , sensitivity or frequency response of the units. I think a lot of people would want to see this when buying a top-flight cab as this appears to be.

I think you might want to consider splitting the cab into separate 1 x 15 and 2x10 units due to the weight considerations, although if they were used in a fixed installation they would be fine.

Also , I bi-amp and use the crossover in the amplifier. I would not want a cab with a crossover built in.

I also would shy away from Celestion's for bass but that's probably just me.

My six penny worth.
  16. Beautifully made. Good materials. I hope you "acoustically" designed it as well, because by the looks of it, the ports are way too small. I do things like that too (look at the site in my sig), and at one point in my life, started a one man company to sell a few. Didn't work out. Couldn't find the time (try to remember how much time you spent on that one alone) to run a business, make music AND have a life.

Err ...but why the heck did you have to make a huge skyscraper like that? What's wrong with a stack of 2 1x15s and a 2x10? It allows for a lot more flexibility, carryability and "small-club-a-bility".
  17. Hey! that looks AWESOME!

Instead of marketing big CABs or small CABs, you could see what people want, a big baboom like that? or a nice small 2x10? etc..
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Besides the size concerns, I would definetly be concerned about power handling.

It looks like the power ratings on those speakers are kinda low. Maybe you should consider making a cab with some different speakers, especially if its gonna be so big. I would feel pretty lousy if I had a 5 ton rig that would start farting when I pushed it with a 700 Watt amp.

Also, people would like to know what the frequency range is of the cab. Are you using the correct formulas to calculate the box/port sizes?

19. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Ampeg made a somewhat similar idea a year or so ago--i have the pr1528-he--has a 15" at a 45 degree angle, 2- 8" and a tweeter; the 15 gives sort of a semi folded horn type action; ampeg made a similar, bigger model w/ 18" angled, 2-10"'s and 2 6.5" w/ tweeter--these were supposedly influenced by Baily and Wooten. I really like mine, I bi-amp w/ a hartke 5000 and it is very flexible in terms of tone--anyone else use either of these cabs--and ps--it is heavy and deep!