1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cabinet: 4x10 4ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizay, Sep 10, 2008.

1. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hi there!
    I am trying to get some ideas to my new rig, and Im searching for a 4ohm 4x10 bass cabinet. So, if u know a cabinet like this, post which, and Ill look into it :) thanks!

2. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Epifani UL-410 Series 2 = 4 ohm
    Bergantino AE410 = 4 ohm

Just to name a few!

3. Most 410 cabs come in either 4ohm only, or you have a choice of 8ohm or 4ohm.

What bass amplification brands do you have available in Norway?

K

4. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Im buying from usa:p you will be shocked over the prices here! Kjung: for example, a MusicMan Bongo HH costs like 3700 US here... :|
    So im kinda open to any 4x10 4ohm:)

5. Well then, from the influences you listed in your profile, assuming you have some cash to spend, and that weight is at least somewhat important, the Bergantino AE410 is really nice. It is very efficient (500 watts will drive the heck out of it), only about 65 pounds or so, and only 16 inches deep. It's very punchy and tight, with a somewhat aggressive top end. It's great for articulate fingerstyle playing (think Tower of Power, Jaco, etc.), and also provides a modern aggressive slap tone ala 'Flea'.

Per Joey's suggestion above, the Epifani 410UL (you have to specify 4 ohms, since it also comes in 8 ohm version) is another good one. The weight spec has increased, so it weighs about the same as the Bergantino AE410 now, but is a larger cab (full 18" deep). It is more wide and open sounding... less intense mids, a very sweet, funky top end, and deep bass extension. This cab does the Alain Caron/Marcus Miller type thing wonderfully. It's more big and pretty and boomy and sizzly versus the 'hit you in the chest' punch of the AE410.

They both sell for around $1,100 US, plus around $75 for covers, and around $75 for removable castors if you want them. The Berg pricing is 'fixed'... everyone pays the same. You can deal on the Epi a bit (i.e., the list price is higher than the Berg, but most retailers will discount down to around $1,100 or so.

If either of these sounds interesting, you might contact the Groove Shoppe. Joel is a TBer, and they have experience shipping oversees. They carry both Epi and Berg.

6. I just noticed you are using an SVT-CL. Is that correct? If so, you might consider the Bergantino HS410. It's a bit heavier than the others I mention, but has ceramic (traditional drivers) and seems voiced to take advantage of a big tube amp to my ears. It's the same size as the AE410, and about 85 pounds (and 4ohms).

7. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    thank you very much! I will look into those!

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Carvin makes 4 ohm 4x10 cabinets. They make a good Neo 4x10 that weighs about 75 lbs. I don't know if they will ship to Norway. I can imagine that shipping costs would be very high.

Maybe you can find someone who will ship you a 4 ohm 4x10 from Avatar. Avatar doesn't ship outside the USA. They make good 4x10 cabinets in 4 or 8 ohm. Steamco Music in Winnipeg, Canada imports Avatar to Canada. They might ship to you in Norway, but again, shipping will be expensive.

9. I'm sure others will post up also. I know Genz Benz has a 4ohm 410 called the 'Uber 410' that is getting some good reviews, but I haven't tried it. The Mesa 410's are also pretty cool sounding, but VERY large and heavy.

To me, that AE410 is pretty darn cool though, especially with a 500 or so watt hybrid or SS head. It really punches and growls, and is very articulate. You can hear EVERY little nuance in your playing, for better or worse!

K

10. actually a lot of 4x10 cabs come in 8ohms because the majority of speakers used are 8 ohms and the simplest wiring for that would be 8 ohms plus then it makes it easier to use with a single 15" or 18" speaker because again, the majority of those are 8 ohms as well.

The only company that I can think of right now that makes a 4 ohm 4x10 cabinet is Ashdown

11. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Im using a shipping company that makes a address to me in USA, and then ships it here, so thats not a problem, if they only ship to Usa:)

12. This has changed over the last 6-8 years or so. Now, with many 410's able to handle massive wattage, and putting out more low end than any single 15 or even 18, and with the advent of all the 400-600 watt monoblock SS or hybrid heads optimized to run at 4ohms, most manufacturers either market only 4ohm versions of their 410 cabs (like Bergantino, EBS, some of the Ampeg 410's, etc.) or have 4 or 8 ohm options (Epifani, Mesa, SWR, etc.).

13. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Wow, can't believe no one's mentioned Avatar yet... I've been using a 4 ohm 4x10 Avatar Neo cabinet for a year or so and it's been everything I expected and then some. They're built and shipped from Idaho, USA and are the best "bang for the buck" around, IMO. If you have a way to get one shipped to your location, I'd strongly suggest you look into their 4 ohm 4x10 cab.

14. Avatar WAS mentioned and also the statement was made that they do not ship outside the US.

The Acme B4 is available in 4Ω and I believe Andy will ship them worldwide.

Paul

15. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Schroeder - Jorg will ship directly to you.

16. Ampeg SVT410HLF