Bass Cabinet Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by konfishily, Dec 6, 2004.

1. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am new to bass cabinets all together. But now that i started gigging I need a little more power to keep up with 2 loud guitarists. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a ~300 W setup with preferably 1 cabinet.

I was wondering if a

SWR 350 and Goliath 4 x 10" cab would work

or maybe a

Ampeg B-2R and a BSE 410 HLF?
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Both good choices, if you could get a bass 750 instead of 35o it'd be that much more solid. Or try to get a 4 omh goliath.

A well powered 4x10 with a loud rock band is usually *just* enough. Many people go with an 8x10 or two 4x10s.
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I might suggest getting a schroeder 410. WAY loud and about the same price as a goliath III. Not to mention it could probobly eat a goliath III for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

If you want any info.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a 4x10 should be ok as long as you put a good amount of watts into it. I use a bag end 1x12 and a bag end 1x15 which are conservatively rated at 200 watts RMS handling, but handle 800 watts peak. I use a poweramp to put about 400 watts into each of them and that competes with a 100 watt marshall style plexi amp. My setup has roughly about the same speaker cone area as a 4x10 so i'd say i could use one in place of the setup i have and be around as loud. You might be better off with a used swr sm-900 bridged into that cabinet if you like the swr sound. I have zero experience with schroeder, but i can tell you that epifani and aguilar 4x10's (to name a couple) would be louder than the swr by a bit, but the SWR is still a good cabinet.